Tuesday, April 16, 2019

T Stands for Cemetery Siting

Teague wanted to visit Mt. Pleasant Cemetery in Arlington, Massachusetts to locate the graves of an aunt, uncle, and their daughter, a cousin. Teague asked if I wanted to go on a cemetery hop. You bet.

But I've been bothered by the fact that the title cemetery hop somehow sounds frivolous or worse disrespectful. I wanted a cool name for the thing we do. Part genealogy and for me, part admiring the skill and art of the stone cutters. 

People who explore caves are called Spelunkers and they go spelunking. That's cool. I did find that people that visit cemeteries to look at the grave stones are called Gravers. Teague suggested Grave Hunters, but that made me think of Ghost Hunters or Grave Robbers.  I was thinking about a name most of the day.

At Mt. Pleasant, Teague was trying to remember the location of the graves. There was also something about the cemetery was a military cemetery for those who served in the Air Force. 


While Teague was trying to get her bearings, I found this monument on the side of the main road. A sweet, stone bunny. Did some bunny like bunnies? Was it a nick name?

The main road was by the chapel and overlooked a flat area. We drove around the block trying to find the section marked on a map Teague had. The map was marked. The cemetery was not. Finally, she decided to go in the chapel to see if there was an office and someone could give directions. Turns out, we had to drive across a brook over a narrow bridge  to another flat area beyond where we had looked. Teague also asked about the military connection. I had told there were only 3 military cemeteries in the state. The national cemetery in Bourne, and two state cemeteries, one in Agawam where my parents are buried and the other in Winchendon. If you were a resident of Arlington and had served in the military, you could be buried in an area designated for servicemen and women.

We wandered around a bit and found the graves. The uncle and cousin were buried together. Both had a bronze plaque with their ranks, service, dates. The aunt couldn't be buried with her husband as she had not served in the military, but her grave was not too far away. While Teague paid her respects I wandered around


This little lamb was upside down in the middle of a grassy area between rows of plaques in the ground. We had had heavy winds and rain the week before so who knows where this little fella was supposed to be. I set him upright and took his picture.

I was surprised to see figures and mementos left by loved ones. The practice is not allowed in the national or state military cemeteries in Massachusetts.


This little frog made me smile. Mr. Cook's occupation, perhaps a play on his occupation and last name?


The little lamb sits all by his lone. 


Harry and Ruth don't have a bronze military plaque. Someone was a sports fan as there's a hockey puck and a baseball.


Corporal Ahern served in a tank division during the Korean War. 


The monument honoring the servicemen and women. 


We were off to two  other parts for this outing. So my ticket in for this post, as Teddy would say, is this opalescent teacup, saucer, and tea strainer. For those who have followed the Thursday Notebook posts, both of these belonged to Doris

Oh, and while driving home and trying to come up with a name for visiting cemeteries I came up with Grave Siting also Grave Sighting. A play on words. As we go to grave sites and look for graves. Grave Sighters.

Drop by hosts, Bleubeard and Elizabeth's blog to find out what the rest of the T Stands For gang is up to. If you want to play, include in your Tuesday post a beverage or container for a beverage. Don't forget to link your blog to Bleubeard and Elizabeth's page.

51 comments:

  1. I enjoy walking through cemeteries. There are some fascinating stones and it is always so peaceful. And not disrespectful unless you are running, screaming or spraying paint. Happy T day. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't even imagine doing things like that in a cemetery.

      Delete
  2. I find cemeteries pleasant and peaceful places to visit. You saw some nice things on your visit. Happy T Day, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always touching to see the mementos left by loved ones.

      Delete
  3. It always makes me sad and happy when we drive past the military cemetery in San Francisco, sad that so many have died but happy that they are so well looked after, all in such neat rows.
    I love your cup set, my Mum hated teabags and they always had a tea strainer, Dad even had a ball shaped one for his mug first thing in the morning.
    Happy T Day
    Jan x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I once heard something like the Brits consider teabags to be the sweepings from the tea room floor :-D

      Delete
  4. I am really enjoying this visits to the older cemeteries and poor little bunny hopefully someone will know where he belongs.
    I love the name Grave Sighters-I think it's perfect or perhaps Grave Seekers which just popped into my mind lol
    beautiful tea set
    Happy T wishes Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grave Seekers is good, too. Makes me think of the fun times reading Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys mysteries.

      Delete
  5. I've always felt peaceful walking through cemeteries, and silently honoring those who have passed. Your tea set is beautiful- I love vintage pieces like this. Happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And a little sad, too. No matter when we go, we see very few visitors to the cemetery.

      Delete
  6. I actually like the name Grave Sighters ... it fits perfectly! Very clever. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It always seems peaceful walking through cemeteries and to see the carving on the stones made by master stone carvers, makes you wonder the connection perhaps to the family who lie there.
    Happy T day wishes.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've often wondered why a particular motif was chosen. Popular? Significant to the times? The stone work now is so much more a reflection of the person(s) buried.

      Delete
  8. The cemetery looked fun to explore and you found some beautiful memorials too 😁. Wishing you a very happy T Day! J 😊 x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not many memorials to explore on this side. I was surprised the knick knacks were allowed. Obviously this side of the cemetery was meant for ease of maintenance. Only flat, bronze markers. Maybe people just left the objects ignoring cemetery rules.

      Delete
  9. I find cemeteries peaceful places, filled with history both known and mysterious. I found an interesting article on the practice: https://slate.com/culture/2009/10/people-whose-hobby-is-visiting-cemeteries-and-photographing-graves.html that uses the word "graver" that you mentioned. It's a fascinating pastime.

    That's an elegant tea set! Happy T Tuesday :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the article. Grave sighting is fascinating and a fairly inexpensive hobby. I photograph statues of angels with the Doctor Who idea of Don't Blink! And other monuments that are so beautiful (at least to me) they need to be photographed and remembered.

      Delete
    2. My husband is partial to angel statues with an eye towards ones that remind us of the Doctor Who "don't blink" angels. Some of the monuments are works of art, and some of the inscriptions leave me with more questions than answers. The ones that can no longer be read are sad sights, and I'm happy when I hear about cemetery restoration projects.

      Delete
  10. Cemeteries are so peaceful!
    Fabulous memorials!
    Happy T-Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so interesting to see how the funeral decorations in stone have evolved.

      Delete
  11. Grave Sighting - that's cool and i really enjoyed this post. I have always liked to visit cemetaries for some reason ... Personally I want to be part of a tree when I depart and transition to the next life - ..I would like to be an Almond tree or Pacific Dogwood or Bloosming pear - which I believe they all have white blooms. I also love movies where scenes take place in cemetaries or ....Grave Yards - ...which is a very Grave feeling or even better yet a very grave situation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen living gardens, but usually for infants and children. As to trees, I like birch, but they don't weather well here in New England. Maybe a maple or an ash.

      Delete
    2. Maples are pretty. My favorites actually are Quaking Aspens and Birches - besides the white flowering blooms. I saw a stand of Aspens up in Bend Oregon I'll never forget - the slight breeze created the most beautiful dance of these hundreds of trees.

      Delete
  12. I think what you are doing is wonderful and I think the inhabitants would be thrilled knowing someone is remembering them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always joke with Himself I can hear my mother when I visit the cemeteries. "You visit all these strangers but never come to visit me." :-D Not true, but the visits probably aren't as often as she would have liked.

      Delete
  13. A very lovely visit to grave sites. have done similar adventures with my hubby and father-in-law. Beautiful tea things...love the opalescence! happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The photo doesn't quite capture the sparkle and colors of Doris' teacup

      Delete
  14. Like so many of the others who have commented here, although it can be sad, I always get a sense of peace when walking around a cemetery.

    I like the tea set.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sadness brings to mind a quote from Doctor Who from the episode, "Blink" Sad is happy for deep people

      Delete
  15. Lovely cemetery photos. I enjoy going to cemeteries to photograph the old gravestones that have skull or other winged faces on them. (One year I went to Salem, MA for Halloween, and spent most of my time in the old graveyards.) Cemeteries here have rules about not putting anything on the grave sites that are flush with the ground, to make mowing easier, but I've seen some where people have left small statues similar to the ones you saw. When I got to the photo of the teacup, saucer, and strainer, I suddenly felt a flurry of activity behind me: Teddy was looking over my shoulder, saying he was thrilled to be mentioned in your post. He's now all smiles, sitting on the couch. Happy T-Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure those rules are in place in lots of cemeteries. Just that people ignore the rules. I'm glad Teddy is all smiles today.

      Delete
  16. I enjoy walking through cemeteries too! Like you CJ, I love looking at the stone decorations! Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seems like a lot of us like visiting cemeteries. Wouldn't it be cool to arrange a meet up?

      Delete
  17. You saw some very interesting sights in the cemetery. I enjoyed seeing the sights. It is wonderful to see graves that are still visited by loved ones.
    Happy Tea Day,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where plantings are allowed it's always a warm feeling to see how the graves are tended.

      Delete
  18. I enjoy strolling through cemeteries as well. They make me wonder about their lives, where and how they lived.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Cemeteries are fascinating. We used to wander around them all the time. Down here, not so much....too hot! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yes, I love cemeteries too. And I love reading what's written on them. When i travel, I always include a visit to the cemetery, especially in Italy where they have photographs.
    Happy belated T-Day,
    Hugs,
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The photographs are something I've been seeing on newer headstones.

      Delete
  21. I also love cemeteries, although I go to see the art. Ironically, one of our cemeteries has outlawed all mementos and objects left at grave sites in their cemetery. They are removed and destroyed, regardless of the significance or cost. It was nice to see at least one cemetery still allows it.

    Your tea set is lovely. I was especially enamored by the strainer. Thanks for taking us grave sighting and sharing Doris's tea set with us for T on Tuesday. SO sorry I am late getting here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure the mementos are allowed in this section of the cemetery. I think people just do it.

      Delete
  22. When my cousin took me to look for family members in several older cemeteries here, he called cemetery surfing. hmm. :)
    Lovely cup and saucer. Happy T Day!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I do love visiting cemeteries - although the ones in Europe are usually the most interesting! Belated Happy T Day! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete