Tuesday, June 27, 2017

T Stands for Summah

It all started when Himself told me he had stopped on the way home from work at Kelly's Roast Beef. Kelly's has some great sandwiches and now that it's Summer (pronounced Summah in Boston) fried clams and lobster roll. Well, that started a craving and a search for a lobster roll because Himself whine he didn't want to drive all the way to Kelly's. Yes, you did, too whine. My blog. My story 😸


I checked out a few restaurants in the area. Either they didn't have lobster roll on their menu, or the sandwich was overpriced or it was fu-fu. One restaurant served lobster with mayonnaise and celery on a pita bread! That is not a lobster roll. Not even close. A lobster roll needs to be served on a hot dog bun, preferably buttered and toasted. Also, it should be over-filled with lobster (claw meat). Mayonnaise and celery make the lobster into lobster salad and usually there's more mayonnaise than lobster. Finally, I remembered the 99 Restaurant was close by and served a decent lobster roll.



We went early (4:30 PM) to avoid the rush as the 99 is a popular spot. Imagine our surprise when we had a 20 minute wait. As the table is ready buzzer states, it's worth the wait.





We ordered drinks. A Pepsi (like a Coke only better) for Himself, a strawberry Marguerita for The Eldest, and another Summer favorite of mine a Raspberry-Lime Rickey. My mother-in-law made a mean raspberry-lime rickey. While waiting for our meals, the restaurant served popcorn and Himself ordered Loaded Potato Skins (melted cheddar and Monterey Jack cheeses, crisp Applewood bacon) with a side of sour cream.


Himself and I ordered the Down East Lobster Roll combo which included cole slaw, fries, and a cup of New England clam chowder (chowdah). I almost finished my chowder before I remembered to take a picture.



The Eldest ordered Stacked Apple BBQ Ribs and since we had potato skins for an appetizer, she skipped the fries for pasta with butter (As an Italian this is a mortal sin to me as pasta must be smothered in gravy (tomato sauce)) and a veggie for her sides.

The Lobster Roll was a normal portion (usually restaurant food portions can serve a small town). I didn't finish my fries, and the Eldest didn't finish her ribs so I moved my fries to her plate to be boxed up so she would have an awesome dinner to take to work.


To celebrate Summer and the first lobster roll of the season, I made a garden flag.

Drop by hosts, Bleubeard and Elizabeth's blog to find out what the rest of the T Stands For gang is up to. If you want to play, include in your Tuesday post a beverage or container for a beverage. Don't forget to link your blog to Bleubeard and Elizabeth's page.

41 comments:

  1. 99 has great lobster rolls! Yum! Your flag is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-D Little lobster happy dancing on his way to a lobster roll.

      Delete
  2. Love your garden flag, and I am dying to try a good lobster roll!! Must see if I can find a place in my area-and soon:) Happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you can do a T Day post when you find a good lobster roll.

      Delete
  3. Oh my, how I wish we had lobster rolls over here in the UK - it would be so expensive though as lobsters are a luxury, high end item here. The restaurant looks lovely and the food so delicious, I'd happily eat and drink everything you ordered ... lol 😁 ...I'm so hungry now ... lol 😉. I haven't heard of a raspberry-lime rickey before so I looked up a recipe online, it sounds so refreshing and delicious! Wishing you a very Happy T Day! J 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm lucky living in New England. Lobsters are plentiful, a little on the expensive side, but so worth it as a treat. Hard to believe at the beginnings our our country's history (17th/18th c.) lobster was considered food not fit for genteel consumption. Originally, it was used to feed prisoners. The Raspberry-Lime Rickey is a nice change of pace from soda.

      Delete
  4. I was about to say something similar to Jo, those rolls sound so tasty but she's right they would be priced beyond most folks budget here.
    Your garden flag looked great.
    Happy T day.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not something one can afford to eat every day, but worth a splurge from time to time.

      Delete
  5. I've never had a 99 lobstah roll but it sure does look pretty good. When you live so close to the ocean where these lobster rolls come from, you have to enjoy them. I had a good one in Maine. Of course, I am always on the look out for a good lobstah roll-in a hot dog bun. :) I think it is my summer staple food. And yes, I wanted to answer, they did have water and also gas for cooking at Campobello as you asked. Happy T day. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good food at the 99 and reasonably price. We are so lucky to live where we can get good seafood.

      Delete
  6. Those photos make it all seem wonderful which I am sure it was delicious. Good stuff indeed. Greetings!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had my first chowdah.. while in California a few years ago.... not sure i would like it but i LOVED it! I have never had a lobster roll but they look yummy!!! Infact all your food looks good CJ! Happy happy T day! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum! Lobster! I miss lobster..... :( (when we lived in Ny there was a fish market that had a cafeteria style restaurant that served everything they had at the market. Their daily special was TWO lobsters for $9.95! Heaven!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heaven, indeed, but those days of twin lobster for ten bucks are long gone.

      Delete
  9. Glad you were able to find your summah food to enjoy. Never had a lobster roll, but they sound decadently good. Have a great week and a happy T Day, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never had lobster roll, but I live in BBQ heaven and those ribs look delicious!

    Happy T Tuesday :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ribs are good, but not as good as in BBQ heaven.
      (-;

      Delete
  11. I've not only not had lobster roll, I've never had lobster. I live so far from ANY water, they have to be flown in and are so expensive here (in the $25.00 to $40.00 USD range). I would never pay that much for one. I know Erika has had them on her blog before.

    When I was in Bostuhn, I visited Havahd Yahd. Had to laugh at your interpretation of summah. Boy, my spell check is going CRAZY.

    I'm not an Italian, but I'm a sauce junkie. Butter on pasta is not sauce. I prefer alfredo, even though it's not really Italian, like marinara sauce.

    Thanks for sharing your lobstah roll and your Raspberry-Lime Rickey with us for T this Tuesday. And thanks for taking us to 99, too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Forgot to mention, I live in the Wheat State, where beef is king. So if you are gluten free and a vegetarian, steer clear of restaurants in my state (grin).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a carbivore so would do quite well in Kansas. Beef, it's what's for dinner. (-; A good friend of mine is from Kansas, said there was nothing like the smell of wheat ripening in the sun. Like fresh baked bread. Mmmmm.

      Delete
  13. Lobster! (Sorry: lobstah!)Oh, I love it. I only had it once in my life (in Thailand in the early seventies) and I have never been able to afford it since. Lobster is a high luxury menú ítem in Europe. Onbly the very expensive restaurants serve it, and then not in a humble roll! Yours looks delish! I envy you.
    I have no idea what a raspberry-lime rickey is but I will look it up on Google after I post this comment.
    Happy T-Day,
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Raspberry-Lime Rickey is very refreshing. Club soda, soda water, or sparkling water, raspberry syrup, lime juice and lime.

      Delete
  14. all that food looks and sounds so delicious
    What is in a raspberry lime rickey? I am not familiar with that one-thanks
    Happy T Day Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Raspberry-Lime Rickey is very refreshing. Club soda, soda water, or sparkling water, raspberry syrup, lime juice and lime.

      Delete
  15. oh my, the food looks heavenly! and I have never had a lobster roll. i may have to put that on my Bucket List! LOVE your garden flag...too cute! happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've never heard of a raspberry-lime rickey, but am intrigued:) The food looks luscious. It's making me hungry--must start dinner.
    Love the garden flag:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the problem with th T Day posts. Everyone posts food. After reading the posts it's hard to avoid the temptation to eat anything that's not nailed down

      Delete
  17. Hello! I live in Minnesota (pretty far from lobster territory), and I have never eaten a lobster roll before. You make them sound really good, though. I *have* had a lime Ricky before, and that's an excellent choice for a "summah" beverage. Happy T Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been to Minnesota. Twin Cities area. I had a delicious Heath pie at Baker's Sq. Saw a giant two-story snowman and tooka ride on an alpine slide in the middle of Summah! Thanks for dropping in

      Delete
  18. The food looks so delicious! I have never tried Lobster roll although we did once have lobster at a fishing town in France - it was delicious but here in the UK it is probably only in the top priced restaurants(the ones we don't visit! Enjoy the rest of Summah! Belated Happy T day! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lobster is a delicious Summer treat. Can't afford to eat it every week. :-D

      Delete
  19. "My blog. My story." lol, CJ. You've made me crave an authentic lobster roll. It's been many years since hubby and I had one. We both love them. That raspberry-lime rickey sounds very refreshing. Your summah garden flag is just darling. I bet the neighbors get a kick out of it.

    Happy T-Day! Hugs, Eileen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neighbors have fenced in yards so they can't see the garden flags. their loss (-;

      Delete
  20. I have never tasted lobster or any shell fish at all since I was teenager and discovered I was allergic to it. Must say it all looks delicious

    Happy T Day

    Love Chrissie xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very delicious, but not worth it if you're allergic to it.

      Delete
  21. That's some good food! I am full, from just reading about it all! LOL! Love your garden flag!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The 99 has good food and reasonably priced. The garden flag turned out cute

      Delete