Thursday, April 19, 2018

Throwback Thursday - The Notebook

To clear up some confusion, the Notebook passages posted on Throwback Thursday were written by my father and found by me after he passed away. They were his attempt to tell the family history. He was in his late 80s or early 90s when he wrote them. Today's chapter:

At 14, in 1933, I met a man at the playground of my Daniel Webster schoolyard. [ed: This man, is Charlie Arnold who would become Dad's mentor] It never had been open for Summers. And closed whenever school was out, holidays and Saturday and Sundays.

So the only place we had [ed: to play] was the street and we would go over the fence and also be on the lookout for the police officer. He had a key to the Donald McKay School and wold go through the front and exit into the school yard. And we would run to scale the 8 foot chain-link fence and make our get away. At times this would be on the street where we would run into one of the building, go up the roof and jump from rooftop to rooftop and escape that way. And we knew which roof doors were open.

We also would go to the railroad yards and throw rocks at the train and the men in in the engine sector would throw coal at us. We wanted this because although it was soft coal and smelled gassy, we would go down a cellar for a picnic and light a fire. And due course we would be coughing and choking and get out of there when some woman would set up the alarm. And come down to chase us out of the cellar.

In fact, my best friend, Leonard Russcetti (Len Russ) when he mastered the violin and had an orchestra came to my house in Cambridge when he was in a theater ticket line and met up with my brother, Mario. He asked about me. And at that time I was studying to become a lawyer. Mario gave him my telephone and we set up a date. We had a nice time and he said "You know we had 10 family members and every time we heard that you had gotten in some episode, we would make bets as to what year, month, and date that the State would pull the switch on the electric chair at the State's prison on Cherry Hill in Charlestown. Time we would at midnight.

Anyway, we had a nice time playing all kind of games. As this Summer was coming to a close, he [ed: Charlie Arnold] said that he would be at Marginal St. in September and said that he would open a center and we should go. It would be fun.

I went along with other boys and the place was the old government building immigrants that came to America got off the ship at the landing across the street and were checked for passports etc. It was not used anymore and the Government turned that over to the Center Board Director, Charlie Arnold, or Skipper as he wanted to be called or Skip. He lived up the top floor with his wife and child. And in a sense I would sort of get a life at that time. I could also go to the big library and check out 4 books and I enjoyed every book I took out.

12 comments:

  1. I'm so glad your dad met Charlie! Sounds like he gave your father what his parents couldn't. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlie was a second dad. The one you actually listened to =^,.^=

      Delete
  2. The diary accounts are very vivid, your dad was a great story teller. Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG, jumping from rooftop to rooftop. Fearless.
    Your dad was amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed the fact the boys and your father threw rocks to get coal to burn. I've seen what happens to furniture when it's in a coal burning home, so I bet your dad's lungs didn't take it too long.

    Another great adventure, dear C.J.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bet the lady whose house they broke into didn't like it either.

      Delete
  5. CJ....reading your dad's antics gives one chills in that he wasn't hurt....badly....I know boys will be boys and when all kids are....kids.....you basically have no fear, but the roof jumping thing would give anyone watching a heart attack !! and if engineers threw coals today at kids !!!!! the uproar !!!! ...maybe dad thought in the back of his mind; "if someone threw coals at MY kid...I'd represent them in court" !! ☺☺♥♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The houses in East Boston are really close together. You could reach across the alley and pass a cup of sugar from your house to the neighbor's house. A story I heard about 2 of my father's girl cousins. One of them stood with one foot on the roof of her house (a three or fourth story building) and straddled her other leg to the roof of the house across the alley. Neighborhood kids gathered below to see if they could see "anything"

      Delete
  6. I can't even imagine jumping roof top, to roof top! Even if the houses were close together! I'm glad your dad met Charlie!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dad's mother was certainly glad he met Charlie, too. :-D

      Delete