Saturday, February 2, 2019

Second on the Second

from 28. February 2011:

It's snowing again. Not a block buster mega storm, but a teasing fluff that has already passed the 3 inch predicted limit. There's just enough snow to make driving a slushy, fish-tailing sort of E-ride on our rural main drag. I'm so sick of seeing the white landscape with margins of black carbon exhaust.  I want to give Ol' Man Winter the Udo Treatment.

That's my hero, Richard Widmark, in his film debut role as gangster, Tommy Udo,  in Kiss of Death. In the film, Udo pushes poor wheelchair bound Mrs. Rizzo (Mildred Dunnock) down a flight of stairs because she lied and refused to tell Tommy where her rat of a son skipped out to. (Rizzo the rat. Sound familiar Muppet fans?)

I'd like to see Tommy give Winter a good shove down the stairs. Winter, good riddance! And don't come back, ya squirt!

If you haven't seen this film classic, you need to get yourself edumucated. The wheelchair scene was quite shocking and caused quite a stir in 1947. Widmark received his only Oscar nomination for his chilling performance. His maniacal laugh which stemmed from a nervous giggle because he couldn't remember his lines became his trademark. The storyline holds up fairly well 64 years later though you have to overlook the fact that hero Nick's children (Nick played by Victor Mature) never age through the film.

It's your turn to play. From Elizabeth: Now it's time to share your Second on the 2nd.  The rules are quite simple and everyone is welcome to join the fun look back.  All you have to do is bring back a post that you are especially proud of, or perhaps one you shared before anyone knew your blog existed.  Any post, any genre, any artistic endeavor is acceptable.  Join hosts Bleubeard and Elizabeth to see what else is being served up the Second Time Around.

29 comments:

  1. Sorry about the snow, hope it soon goes. Here it's a mix of rain, snow and sleet today, not nice, and I'm staying home again. That film looks ghastly, I might even like it! Glad the postcard arrived safely. Keep war, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you like gangster movies, you'll like this one. And we're in for a nasty mix like you later in the week.

      Delete
    2. I meant to write "keep warm" Sorry, my fingers are playing up!

      Delete
    3. You, too. Hope your hands are doing better.

      Delete
  2. Wonderful repost. I agree with your sentiments about the white stuff. And I don't think I ever saw that movie, but it sounds good. I'll have to see if it's on archive.org. I also like your sleeping bear and cat that are waiting to be awoken when Spring arrives. After this second arctic blast, I'm ready for Spring. At least Super Bowl Sunday promises to be 40 F where I am in CT.

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. I found Kiss of Death on archive.org here:

    https://archive.org/details/KissOfDeath47

    I might watch it this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some good performances in this film. As to weather, I'm waiting for Tues. when it's supposed to get close to 60o F!

      Delete
  4. Richard Widmark was priceless in this! I like Victor Mature, too. Love those old movies :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great performance by Widmark in this! (Try and stay warm, you're one day closer to spring!) :-/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking forward to Tues. when it's supposed to be near 60! Phil didn't see his shadow today. Hooray Spring!

      Delete
  6. Sorry to hear that winter is being like unwanted guest.
    We are having winds today, with some very strong gusts, even tipping over some patio furniture.
    Thanks for sharing your post again......I do admire Richard Widmark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope the winds die down soon. As to Widmark, you have good taste.

      Delete
  7. That is a fun way to do your Saturday movie post CJ. And it is not snowing, and not quite so cold. I guess things are looking up a bit, for the moment. Enjoy the rest of your day. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also wanted to mention I have never heard of Ester Howland. I need to look up some of her work if any of it is shown online. Being a Worcester native, it is cool to hear that! Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had heard Valentine's were "invented" in Worcester. Didn't know the name of the inventor. Here's a good article: https://www.wgbh.org/news/2017/02/14/how-we-live/how-worcester-put-valentine-valentines-day

      Delete
  9. What a great way to honor both your Saturday flicks AND my second look. I love it when that happens.

    I'm going to keep Anne around, because I had never heard of archive.org until now. I'll have to check it out once I get caught up.

    I know how much you dislike winter, so I hope the warm up that is predicted will have you thinking spring. Thanks for sharing this film with us as your second look on the 2nd, dear CJ.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it's enough to give me a taste of what's to come so I can put up with the last 6 weeks of Winter.

      Delete
  10. I have not seen that movie - i'll have to google and see where it's playing hopefully on one of the subscriptions i have. Not snowing here but incredible rain events and snow by tomorrow or Monday or so they say.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We have had a little bit of snow but not much--lots of icy patches though so I will be staying in.

    Love your repost it was so interesting and I hadn't read it before

    Stay warm and safe

    Have a great day

    Love Chrissie xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I read that winter is really fierce this year and no wonder you want mr winter thrown down the stairs pronto. I didn't know the film or the actor but found the wheelchair scene on Youtube. Gosh it is quite horrible. He plays a really creepy role.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haven't had a lot of snow in my area. Other places like the midWest of the country have been hammered. It's been bitterly cold the past week or so. It's just Winter lasts so long. I'm ready for it to be over.

      Richard Widmark has been my number 1 heart throb since I was 8 years old. The first film I ever saw him in was "Take the High Ground"

      Delete
  13. Hi again. I just watched Kiss of Death (via the archive.org link) and I wanted to thank you for recommending it. It was a great movie and I enjoyed it very much.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've got to see this film!!! Thanks CJ!!!
    (I think there will be an early Spring!)

    ReplyDelete