Tuesday, November 6, 2018

T Stands for Sculpting

I met Scott Nelson at the WAM Open House. Our show and tell tables were next to each other, and we got to chat during a lull. Scott usually teaches youth classes, but this term he was teaching The Art of Humorous Illustration to adult.

Scott mentioned besides covering drawing and illustration, his class would also cover some marketing tips. Sounded good to me and as I had some free time, I thought it would be fun to be a student. Drawing would also give me a chance to expand my horizons and keep me on task with Inktober.

Class begins with some sort of warm-up: 30 second figure drawing, 2 min. figure drawing with watercolor, cartooning (it's hard to be funny on the spot) , and during the last class sculpting.

Scott gave each student a lump of clay. We were to sculpt a figure that we would be able to use as a model for a card, cartoon, or storyboard for a book.

The beginning of class is always scary for me. I feel the Prissy butterflies flutter into my throat.


Silly, I know. It's good to be out of your comfort zone. Take a deep breath. Scott tells us to draw or write what you know. What do I know? I know letters. And as a crazy cat lady, I know cats.

So I take my lump of clay and begin pressing and shaping it. 


And soon a little cat shape appears. There's my travel mug filled with English Breakfast tea that I bring to class.


I used a sculpting tool to shape the clay. The room was chilly and my hands were cold so working with the modeling clay was difficult. It's not as pliable as the play dough I used to make when the girlies were little.

I turned my travel mug around so the cat face would show on the mug cozy. Crazy, cat lady.


As Ink began to take shape, I relaxed and got so busy in class with finishing the sculpture and working on a story board, I forgot to take profile views of the kitty.


So, took them when I got home.

Drop by hosts, Bleubeard and Elizabeth's blog to find out what the rest of the T Stands For gang is up to. If you want to play, include in your Tuesday post a beverage or container for a beverage. Don't forget to link your blog to Bleubeard and Elizabeth's page.

39 comments:

  1. That sounds like a worthwhile class. And how clever to add sculpture to a drawing class. I LOVE your cat. I think cats are your animal for sure. You not only draw them well but sculpt them well also. :) Have a a great T day even with all these grey skies and clouds. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never would have thought of using clay in a drawing class, but it was really helpful to have a 3D figure to draw from different angles.

      Delete
  2. The figure is great, you made a wonderful little Ink! Happy T Day, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your cat turned out so beautifully! great! Happy T-Day, hugs - Susi

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an amazing class you attended. and what can I say about the cat, other than it is adorable for your first sculpture. So sweet, too. Great job, CJ.

    Had to laugh when you said you were 5'2" tall. That is a giant in my world at 4'11".

    Thanks for sharing your travel mug and your clay sculpture with us for T this Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The cat looks terrific and I am sure you enjoyed making it. Sounds like a good class to be a part of

    Have a great T Day

    Love Chrissie xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a really fun class with new techniques to try.

      Delete
  6. What fun CJ! A few years ago i talked a friend into taking a beginner piano class with me.. Learned something new and had fun at the same time.. Adult classes are great! LOVE your Ink! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to be able to find new things to learn.

      Delete
  7. Great class to expand your skills and I love your sweet kitty sculpture-well done! Happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The class is a lot of fun though time goes by too quickly.

      Delete
  8. You really know your cats! The sculpture is perfect! And of course he's got his paw up to help you with your calligraphy pens! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, your Ink sculpture is so amazing! You must know cats very well, I love seeing how you created it - beautiful! It's purr-fect ...lol 😀. It sounds like a fun class too, wishing you a very Happy T Day! J 😊 x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really enjoying the class. Scott is a wonderful teacher and the class is a nice mix of interesting people.

      Delete
  10. Love your sculptured cat I hope you enjoyed your class as a student this time
    Happy T Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two more weeks to go. And I love being a student. I don't have to do all the prep work or work at keeping people busy and entertained.

      Delete
  11. Love, love, love the sculpt kitty.

    ReplyDelete
  12. CJ...I think this is really neat...you did a great job...I once sculpted a tree....

    trunk ☺☺♥♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! Working in clay is not as easy as people think.

      Delete
  13. Sounds like a helpful class, and what a great cat you made. I can tell you know cats well :) Happy T Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  14. That sounds a wonderful class you went to. Your sculpture cat looks great. You can tell you know cats well, I love how it had a raised paw.
    Happy T day wishes.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your class sounds like so much fun! And your cat is a fabulous start. Sculpture is so relaxing but looks so much easier than it is. I always looked forward to sculpture lessons. Looking forward to seeing all the art that you create in class.
    Happy Tea Day,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of the art has been quick sketches and thumbnails. Not any finished pieces.

      Delete
  16. Sorry I'm late. Tuesday is my busiest day and I don't get to see my computer until after 10 pm.
    That class sounds fun to me. Pretty varied too. I love your little cat.I hope you'll show us more of what you make in that class.
    Happy belated T-Day,
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your clay kitty is darling, CJ. I get that terrible jittery feeling every time I try something new too. I hope you'll share the other pieces as well.

    Happy T-day! Hugs, Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  18. What an interesting post! I adore your clay cat! So sorry to be so late visiting - belated Happy T Day! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Well done CJ!!! I love your kitty! Good for you, getting out of your comfort zone! Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanky you for sharing your cat's sculpture! it is nice and not scary. Nice choosing of sculpture supply it's really great!

    ReplyDelete