This journal is about my journey with DCIS which began in January 2024. Ductal Carcinoma in Situ. A form of breast cancer. I didn't tell many people. Family, a handful of close friends. I didn't even tell my bosses at the museum where I teach. Somewhere along the line after much prodding and poking, I decided the My DCIS Journey was too boring so retitled the journal Adventures of the Poor, Little Boob.
The Poor, Little Boob has been cancer-free since June 0f 2024, and still has another year of taking hormone therapy and being monitored by an oncologist. My target date for ending the medication and this journey is June1, 2027
Biopsy Day. Himself dropped me off on his way to class. Teague was going to pick me up.
The biopsy was an hour and a half long. The same machine that is used to do the mammograms was used to collect the biopsy samples. Instead of standing in front of the machine, the machine is tipped on it's side, and you are seated and rolled into the machine. I was numbed up pretty well so didn't feel much. A bit of pressure as the machine inserted a needle in a circular pattern collecting samples from the PLB. The hardest part was sitting still with my left arm draped in an awkward position around the machine.
I couldn't hear much of the dialogue between the surgeon, his nurse, and the mammogram technician above the hum of the machine. It seemed to take decades, but finally I was released from the machine, bandaged, could get dressed, and sent home.
Teague was waiting for me. It was snowing a bit when we got outside of the building. She said the snow wasn't bad so we went to Owen O'Leary's an Irish pub for lunch. Then she took me home.
And a small plea, my friend and colleague, Andy Fish, found out he has cancer. His cousin has started a Go Fund Me. If you can help out, your kindness will be greatly appreciated. Even if you can't make a donation, consider sharing the link through your social media network. That helps out a lot, too. Thank you. https://gofund.me/87ec3148b

At my last mammogram I was shivering all over, it hurt!
ReplyDeleteThat darn cancer - I am sorry for your friend.
You think that they could make the test a lot less painful by now. Like an MRI
DeleteI like how you drew this CJ. And I agree with your comment to Iris. You would think they could make mammograms less painful. Have a great day. It's your kind of weather!
ReplyDeleteMakes Winter a distant memory
Deleteprayers out to your friend Andy, hope he can beat the bass terd cancer ๐๐
ReplyDeleteHe has a long row to hoe, but he's strong
DeleteSending Andy good vibes!
ReplyDeleteThank you.
DeleteMammograms at the best of times are not comfortable!!!
ReplyDeleteI think you did well here.
Sending positive thoughts and good wishes for Andy.
All the best Jan
Thanks, Jan
DeleteI love your drawing. Let's hope June, 2027 finds your in perfect health.
ReplyDeleteSending healing wishes to Andy.
I appreciate you thinking of Andy
Delete