Thursday, May 31, 2018

Throwback Thursday - The Notebooks

Public Domain,
 https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=47600611 
To clear up some confusion, the Notebook passages posted on Throwback Thursday were written by my father and found by me after he passed away. They were his attempt to tell the family history. He was in his late 80s or early 90s when he wrote them. Today's chapter:

There are things that I forget and those that I forget or they come back in mind.

In the Spring of 1936 [ed: Dad was a Junior in high school], The Boys Clubs of America Board of Directors and Officers held their annual meeting in Boston and it would close with a father son banquet.

Skip asked me if I could give some time to put pamphlets on chairs for representatives of the Boy's Club from all the states that had boys clubs, I agreed.

The affair was held at the older of the two hotels in Boston. [ed: Omni Parker House ] It was Monday to Sunday and the banquet ended the meeting.

I was in the men's room when the door was flung open. I saw this tall, well-dressed man hold it open. He looked around. I was the only one in the men's room. He stuck his hand out and then another man came in. He came beside me. Looked at me and said, "Shouldn't you be in school?" I told him I got out early to help put the pamphlets on the chairs, etc. He looked familiar but I could not place who he was.

On Sunday I attended the banquet and sat at Charlie's table. And I saw the same man that spoke to me on Friday. He sat at the middle of the head table. He was introduced as President Hoover. He got a big standing ovation. I told Charlie about my meeting him in the men's room

So I must be the only person in the United States or a few persons who had to explain to a president of the United States in the men's room of a hotel why I was out of school. He was out of office at that time but past presidents always keep their title and are so addressed. My first celebrity meeting.

19 comments:

  1. That must have been a very unexpected meeting with a famous man, great story! Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly not where you would expect to me a celebrity

      Delete
  2. What a great story and funny, too. Your father had a great sense of humor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been to several blogs today and NONE of them have shown the warning at the top of their blog, except yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried putting some code in about it. Valerie also said she could see the disclaimer. But a site analyzer claimed the blog wasn't compliant. Valerie suggested putting something in the sidebar. So I did and now I'm not going to worry about the EU compliance.

      Delete
    2. And thanks for letting me know you could see the warning.

      Delete
  4. CJ; I'll lay odds that President Hoover got a chuckle out of your dad's remark. And honestly, I doubt many kids back then would recognize a "face".... they weren't inundated with stuff like today's generation is; everyone's "face" anymore is.... everywhere ~ ☺☺♥♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, he'd only know a celebrity if he happened to see a picture in the newspaper.

      Delete
  5. How cool is that. How likely would that happen today? That was a good story. Happy June! Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Secret Service would probably clear the men's room.

      Delete
  6. Wow, how exciting! This is so cool CJ!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, how many kids get to meet the president?

      Delete