Thursday, December 20, 2012

From Trash to Treasure

Years ago Ma had given me her treasured Rosenthal china tea set. She also gave me a box that had another tea set in it. She said this was supposed to go to The Brother, but she figured he wouldn't want it so it came to me. The box had been kicking around as I had no place to display this tea set until I brought Ma's large curio cabinet to live in the dollhouse.

As I unpacked the box, I pulled out a teapot, a creamer, and the sugar bowl that didn't survive The Brother's school tie whip. (The reason The Brother was supposed to inherit this set. The sugar bowl was carefully glued together). There were four saucers, a teacup with a broken handle, and a tea cup. The tea cup had a chip in it. Worthless to sell. Worthless to drink from. I didn't want to toss it out. What to do?

A bit of Gorilla Glue (love this stuff especially since GG came out with a new non-clog bottle) on the foot of the cup attached to a saucer. Add a bit of ribbon for a hanger. Voilá!


I found one of my own tea cups with a crack in it. It received the same Gorilla Glue and ribbon treatment.


What was once a bit of trash is now transformed into beautiful and unique Christmas ornaments. It's now a lovely reminder of happier times spent with Ma and my mother-in-law as they imparted wisdom and gossip to me over cups of tea.

Have you rescued something from the trash and transformed it into a useful object?

4 comments:

  1. What a sweet idea! Memories for many more years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such a cute idea! I've taken shovels with broken handles and painted the shovel part and stuck it in the ground as a garden sign. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Clever! I use all sorts of 'trash' but now that you ask my mind is a blnak! LOL

    ReplyDelete