Monday, December 31, 2012

Happy New Year


End of the year found me all nostalgic for foods my mother and grandmother made. Breaking with tradition, I made home-made cheese ravioli for Christmas Eve instead of the (seven) fish dishes. I always did a modified  version of the Feast of the Seven Fishes mainly because I hated the seven fish traditionally used. This time, I agree with you, Sunflower. Baccala and eel are nasty.
<-------- Last night, I made zeppole, a type of fried dough. This was a treat my grandma made for us. Crispy little balls of dough deep fried in olive oil. We barely waited for them to cool from their molten bath. My cousin D, taught me to dip the zeppoli in Grandma's sugar bowl. Not only would the zeppole be enrobed in sugary goodness, but Grandma would yell at us in a mixture of broken English and Italian. She didn't begrudge us the sugar, but she didn't like us dipping the greasy dough balls into the sugar bowl and fouling the sugar to be used in coffee or tea.

Later this afternoon, another tradition, we will place our order for Chinese food. While the rest of the family will watch The Three Stooges, I will be with The Doctor. BBC America is running a Doctor Who marathon all day and showing episodes from my doctor's run (the Tenth Doctor played by David Tennant).

I don't make resolutions so here's to a Happy New Year. I hope 2013 is less stressful.

2 comments:

  1. Oooh, the zippole sounds wonderful.
    And I love the picture.
    Happy 2013, CJ.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And a Happy, Healthy, Prosperous New Year to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete