Thursday, September 22, 2016

Throwback Thursday - The Notebooks

L-R: Emma (Dad's youngest sister), Archie (Achille), Fanny (Rafaella),
Bobby ( Dad's youngest brother, aka Chick, Chickie)
To clear up some confusion, the Notebook passages posted on Throwback Thursday were written by my father and found by me after he passsed away. They were his attempt to tell the family history. He was in his late 80s or early 90s when he wrote them. Today's chapter:

I also remember that my mother when she felt I was old enough, would have me go to meet my father during the Summer at the streetcar stop. If it was raining, she would see that I understood when I got to the bakery to stay in the doorway and wait for the trolley. When my father spotted me as he stepped out, he would smile and then walk home. She would also send me on other times and as he and I walked home on the beginning of Frankfort Street, windows would go up and women would look out. Well, your grandfather was one inch short of six feet and dressed like he owned the bank [ed: he was a tailor and made all his own clothes] and handsome. He knew what was happening and kept walking straight ahead and paid no attention.

Speaking of fashion, check out Auntie's peep toe shoes. Uncle looks to be 12 or 13 years old so 1941 or 1942. I'm not sure where the photograph was taken. Everyone is dressed in their Sunday go to meeting clothes so I'm guessing the photograph was taken in front of a church. It doesn't look like Our Lady of Mont Carmel which was their parish church. It could be The Sacred Heart Church, but the church I knew as a kid had burned down in 1965 and was rebuilt. I wouldn't know what the church looked like in the 1940s.

2 comments:

  1. A handsome family and I love the shoes:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How proud he must have been to walk home from the trolley with his father (and all the ladies watching!) Lovely memory. ♥

    ReplyDelete