Tuesday, April 25, 2017

T Stands for Tools


I have a picture of some of the tools I use for calligraphy on my header. My favorite mechanical pencil and some pens are resting on a pen dragon.

The Eldest had fashioned my kneaded eraser into Ink. Since she was little, she liked making all sorts of creatures out of the kneaded eraser. I keep the eraser in a plastic Easter egg to keep it clean. I've always enjoyed opening the egg and finding a surprise. She has created a mermaid, dolphin, turtle, cat, whale just some of the creatures I remember. Even now that she's grown up, I still occasionally find a surprise in the egg.

A mechanical pencil isn't good without a lead pointer and a bottle of ink for the pen assortment. Decorated letters pop with gouache, an opaque watercolor. For extra special creations, the decorated letters are gilded with real gold.

The teacup isn't used to hold tea, but a special paint made from gold leaf called shell gold. Two years ago, I traveled to Ender's Island, Mystic Connecticut to attend a week of illuminating and gilding at St. Michael's Institute of Sacred Art. (I loved it so much I attended an advanced class, too.) The week-long classes were taught by Valerie Weilmuenster. Besides learning how to gild, Valerie also taught us how to make shell gold.

Oversimplified, you need a few drops of gum arabic (sap from the acacia tree) in a small, smooth, bowl or cup. You dip your finger in the sticky liquid and lift a sheet of gold leaf (either loose leaf or patent gold) and with your finger "grind" the gold until it is a few small crumbs of gold are left and most of the gold stains the cup. This process is repeated 6 or 7 times. Then the side of the cup and your finger are washed down with distilled water. It is a very slow almost tedious process but it's also meditative.


After several hours, the sediment settles. The water is poured off and you're left with gold that can be used as paint.

I like using the teacup to hold my shell gold instead of the blue bowl I brought to the class. The teacup was sitting unused in the curio cabinet. The teacup was a souvenir from a trip to the United Nations a lifetime ago. It's a pretty china cup but doesn't hold a substantial amount of tea. When the shell gold is not in use, the saucer becomes a lid to keep out dust and debris.

The gold paint got its name of shell gold because, in the middle ages, the gold paint was kept in a seashell. The gold paint dries to a matte finish unlike gilding with gold leaf which is gleaming and shiny. Used together, gilding and shell gold yields a beautiful contrast.


 The C was gilded with gold leaf. The J was painted with the shell gold. The contrast shows up well in the black and white image.



Drop by hosts, Bleubeard and Elizabeth's blog to find out what the rest of the T Stands For gang is up to. If you want to play, include in your Tuesday post a beverage or container for a beverage. Don't forget to link your blog to Bleubeard and Elizabeth's page.

32 comments:

  1. This is remarkable, and a truly wonderful way to store your gold paint. I like the idea because the saucer becomes the lid on the cup. A double purpose for this really pretty cup, too.

    I also like the CJ you created. And I like the various tools you used to get that design.

    I have gold leaf, I have gum arabic. Maybe I'll try making some gold like that.

    Thanks for sharing your process, your tools, and this darling cup and saucer that holds the mixture with us for T this Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The teacup is both pretty and functional. If you'd like to make shell gold, let me know and I'll send you the recipe

      Delete
  2. This letter came out fantastic CJ. You re really good at this, no wonder why you are taking your class with Reggie. :) And I have never heard of shell gold but I am glad you explained how you make it. And you make yours in such a pretty cup. :) This is an interesting post. happy T day. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm taking the Reggie class to learn more, to stretch and push myself.

      Delete
  3. Fascinating. And what a beautiful J.
    You were at United Nations?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a 20-something my fiancee (not Himself) had an interview with a law firm in NYC. I went with him to check out the city in case he got the job there. After his interview, we had some time to kill before our train returned to Boston. We went to the UN where I bought the china cup in the gift shop. A year or so later, I dumped the fiancee but kept the china cup

      Delete
  4. I didn't know about the difference between the golds. The contrast is more interesting to me now, knowing how it's achieved.

    I'm a fan of mechanical pencils and lead holders and have a red one that reminds me of the one in your photo.

    Happy T Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gold comes in different colors and various purities. 23 karat is the most pure gold and the most brilliant.

      I've only ever found blue mechanical pencils used by draftsmen (used to be used by draftsmen) at the office supply store. Different colors wold be useful for the different leads

      Delete
  5. Fantastic post, love how you mdae the shell gold, and it looks fab. Yu can buy it here, but it costs fo a fortune for a tiny amount. Happy T Day, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I should have mentioned you can buy a button size of shell gold from online calligraphy/art sources, but it is expensive.

      Delete
  6. I love the initials. The cup is so pretty too! And a cute story to go with it. I would be afraid I would accidentally/absentmindedly start to drink the shell gold😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-D That's why the teacup is kept on the writing desk. I usually don't eat or drink anything when I'm working. There is an edible gold and gum arabic is used in candy. Not sure if the patent gold or loose leaf gold can be ingested.

      Delete
  7. I loved seeing the tools you use and the story about your kneaded eraser really made me smile! Wow, the shell gold looks wonderful and contrasts beautifully with the gold leaf. It was so insteresting to find out how you made it too. Your CJ is simply stunning, I love the design and colours you used - perfect! Wishing you a Happy T Day! J :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The monogram is a traditional design called White Vine. Traditional colors were also used.

      Delete
  8. this was very interesting thank you-and I love the little animals made from the eraser-very special and made me smile.
    Happy T Day Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The eraser creatures always make me smile especially now that she is grown

      Delete
  9. So beautiful! Love the tools you use to create.
    Happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your calligraphy looks fantastic and so interesting to read about the gold in the teacup.
    Happy T day.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm glad I was able to find a use for the tea cup instead of keeping it tucked in the curio cabinet.

      Delete
  11. WOW! Your skill and patience never ceases to amaze me! ♥♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful monogram. Well done you! And I found it very interesting to learn how shell gold is made and how it got its name. Thanks for that.
    Happy T-Day,
    Hugs,
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So, if you should win a question on the game show, Jeopardy for the trivia of how shell gold got its name, I get provider's fee. (-;

      Delete
  13. Well i just love it when you teach us something CJ... I have to say i'm partial to the shiney gold leaf.. :) I apologize for being a little late today... my internet was out all morning!!! uughh... Happy happy T day! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the shiny, too. And no apologies about being late. thank you for taking the time to stop by

      Delete
  14. Absolutely fascinating, CJ! I enjoyed the "lesson" on shell gold and also your story about your daughter and the plastic Easter egg. I wish I could take a calligraphy class with you. Your knowledge and work are amazing.

    Happy T-day! Hugs, Eileen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet we'd have a great time in class together.

      Delete
  15. Oh how lovely! the cup, and the illuminated letters you've created...I am fascinated by illumination! happy T -or gold-in your cup day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love adding illumination to a piece. It really makes the calligraphy pop.

      Delete
  16. Wow, this is truly amazing and fascinating! Thank you so much for sharing this CJ! I love the story about the eraser too! So precious!
    (Sorry I am always so behind in blog land!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it. No need to apologize. I'm always happy to see you

      Delete