Wednesday, August 26, 2026

Adventures of the Poor, Little Boob

   This journal is about my journey with DCIS which began in January 2024. Ductal Carcinoma in Situ. A form of breast cancer. I didn't tell many people. Family, a handful of close friends. I didn't even tell my bosses at the museum where I teach. Somewhere along the line after much prodding and poking, I decided the My DCIS Journey was too boring so retitled the journal Adventures of the Poor, Little Boob.

The Poor, Little Boob has been cancer-free since June 0f 2024, and still has another year of taking hormone therapy and being monitored by an oncologist. My target date for ending the medication and this journey is June1, 2027


Besides having a department dedicated to treating DCIS, I also wanted to be treated at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute because they had opened up a satellite campus a few towns over from me. I could get the same care, but wouldn't have to travel to Boston. Also, Teague doesn't live too far from the satellite campus so I would be very close to an important part of my support team.

I called the satellite campus, but got weird messages about them being out to lunch (called back 2 hours later and still out to lunch) then you need to call Boston.

I called Boston and was switched to New Patient In-take. The person I spoke to was very helpful. Apparently, there was no longer a cancer surgical team at the satellite campus. She took my information, insurance information, and got the ball rolling by setting up an appointment with a surgeon. She also said I didn't need a referral. Cool. One less headache to worry about.

10 comments:

  1. Sometimes it can be so difficult to get a hold of the RIGHT person...seems to be getting more difficult all the time... Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Especially having to send messages through an electronic portal - CJ

      Delete
  2. Two-hour lunches? Nothing much done in the afternoon, then. ๐Ÿ˜‰

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would have been helpful to know the department was permanently closed and to call the main campus in Boston - CJ

      Delete
  3. The system is so convoluted and broken......IMHO.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. glad no referral was needed, ….did you tell me it was somewhat …hard…to get in with them ? might be thinking
    of someone else??๐Ÿพ๐Ÿ˜ธ๐Ÿ’š

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you might be thinking of someone else but there are some twists and turns coming up. - CJ

      Delete
  5. Thankfully you we able to finally set it up. Anytime you don't have to go into Boston is a good thing. :) Hope you enjoyed this beautiful day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sad you had to find out yourself! Being in fear and having such stress on top :-(

    ReplyDelete