Thursday, February 23, 2012

Tessellation

The word of the day is tessellation. A tessellation is a repetitive pattern of one, two, or three shapes. Each shape fits perfectly with no gaps or overlaps. The pattern must be able to repeat indefinitely. We see tessellating patterns all around us. Brick walls, bathroom tiles, chess or checker boards. M.C. Escher is the master of tessellation.

Technically, my drawing isn't a true tessellation as the cat faces are all different. I just wanted an excuse to play with a 12 pack of Derwent Inktense Watercolor Pencils, but this would be a fun project to combine math and art. Search on tessellation to find sites that show how to make a simple pattern to tessellate.

The Inktense pencils certainly live up to their vivid reputation. They have a lovely, creamy texture when applied dry.  I did make a discovery, though. The set of 12 isn't enough!

Have you used these watercolor pencils? What do you think of them?

2 comments:

  1. I ADORE my Inktense pencils. They're also stable once they dry so you can do layers. Love, love, LOVE them!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never seem to have much luck with them. Must be me. LOL

    ReplyDelete