Tuesday, May 3, 2022

T Stands for Tiggy's Exchange

In the mid-1990s when I was just starting my calligraphic journey, I found a calligraphers' Listserv called Cyberscribes where there were email discussions about the craft, tools, happenings, trends. Associated with the Listserv was a chatroom.  That's where I "met" Tiggy and Toots and so many others. There were lots of snail mail exchanges in those days. The chatroom is gone and the Listserv moved to Yahoo groups and then to Facebook.

 A month or so ago Tiggy proposed an exchange to bring back memories of the old days. Instead of sending a card or items to several people, Tiggy thought we should just send something to one person and the item had to be sent during the month of April. Very doable. Names were collected and The Lad (my nickname for Tiggy's husband) arranged the swap list.  My swap partner was Toots from the Land Down Under. I haven't met Tiggy in person, but I have met Toots. We were in the same dorm for Odyssey, the International Calligraphers Conference in Boston in 2001.

Besides sending an item to Toots, I also sent items to Tiggy in Scotland for being the hostesss and arranging the exchange.


The envelopes


Easter was in April this year so I wanted to send some chocolate and I found chocolate crayons. Perfect! That's in the middle of the picture.


Tiggy's favorite color is orange. I made a booklet that holds a pen and a pad of Post-It notes. Besides calligraphy, Tiggy also sews. I had a scrap of paper with mice sewing. I found an orange heart button, and even though it doesn't really go, a pencil sticker that looks like a hedgehog. Tiggy loves hedgehogs and earned the nickname, Tiggy, after Beatrix Potter's Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle.


In a back issue of Calligraphy Crush magazine was a craft of a "heart wheel" tucked inside a pouch made from a painted coffee filter. The magazine article didn't indicate how big the wheel was supposed to be so I made it at the size of an Artist Trading Coin, 2 1/2 inches in diameter.

The outside of the wheel had simple flowers painted with a wedge brush. The hub reads Tea for Two and a kitty in a tea cup charm (drink reference) was added.


The same for Toots


When I asked Toots what her favorite color was, she said "Anything with glitter" 😸 I had some red glittery dotted Swiss paper. Toots loves dragons so a dragon sticker surrounded with a ring of glitter.

I was surprised when Tiggy received her package a week after I had mailed it. I was worried Toots wouldn't see her package for a very long time. Package service was shut down in OZ for a long time during the pandemic. Though restrictions have been lifted, the posties are still trying to catch up from the backlog. 

I was also worried about sending the chocolate. Toots once sent me some TimTams, cookies with fillings like caramel and the cookie enrobed in chocolate. The package was opened by OZ Custom Inspectors looking for drugs, but they found the cookies, opened the package, ate some of them, and then returned the parcel to Toots with an oops, sorry! It's funny now.

About a week after Tiggy received her package, Toot's postie brought hers. 

Drop by hosts, Bleubeard and Elizabeth’s blog to find out what the rest of the T gang is up to. If you want to play, include a beverage or beverage container in your post. Don’t forget to link your blog from Bleubeard and Elizabeth’s page.

49 comments:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful way to reconnect with slow mail goodies. The packages you put together sound lovely for your friends. I have noticed that the mail abroad is getting through a bit faster now, with still some glitches.
    Happy T

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still waiting for the package from Toots. She said it could take 2 months before I see it. Something to look forward to.

      Delete
    2. Yep, I really am watching etc... for it to arrive.. love my Package from you CJ.. and the Chocs are all gone.. Bill Helped.. ha....

      Delete
    3. Next time, I'll send some chocs for Bill 😸

      Delete
    4. Hope it arrives soon for you.. pacing , pacing for it to arrive.

      Delete
    5. Well, it was sent on the 13th April... so hope it is not too much longer..

      Delete
    6. No worries, Toots. It's something to look forward to.

      Delete
  2. Your friends are really lucky that you are so thoughtful in making gifts with exactly their favorite themes!

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fabulous happy mail and gifts! That's so thoughtful and it looks like a fun exchange with your friend in Scotland - perfect 😁. Happy T Day! Hugs Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a fun and nice way to reconnect! I've not seen chocolate crayons- and what a fun and unique gift. Too bad customs just had to test them out first -lol. I love that you put such thought into your color choices and handmade gifts too. Happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The crayons got through Customs just fine. The Tim Tam cookies Toots sent me years ago were the ones Customs officials ate

      Delete
  5. That was a very thoughtful gift CJ... Nice that you knew them so well as to know how to decorate to what they like.. Chocolate crayons.. cute.. I treasure my snail mail friends. I enjoy writing to them and opening my mailbox to get things other than junkmail and bills.. I will be so sad when it goes away entirely, which i do see happening one day.. Happy T day! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snail mail is fun to make and fun to receive

      Delete
  6. They ATE the cookies???? How did they know they weren't laced with something? That's either incredibly brave or incredibly stupid.....I'm going to go with STUPID! (o_O)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or the biggest lie they could come up with other than we were hungry so we ate your cookies 😸

      Delete
  7. What fun! I've lost touch with all my buddies from yahoogroups days. Happy T Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely idea with the swap. Too funny that the customs people ate the cookies! Happy T Day, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't believe customs ate some of the cookies. Good grief.
    You put together a wonderful gift pack.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fantastic idea. You made some really lovely things for Tiggy and Toots.
    Happy T-Day,
    Hugs,
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
  11. what awesome gifts CJ...WAY better than store stuff....ya know...kinda rude on the inspectors part; the cookies ~~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And worse, Toots had to buy more cookies and pay more postage to send me more cookies

      Delete
  12. Now this sounds so lovely!
    Good to know we can sent to Australia again!. They had code orange here for "ages".
    Huhhh.. Tim Tams, LOL, way too sweet for me! They ATE some of them?!!! What?! Aussies are crazy (sorry, but true, LOL, in a lovely way).
    Happy T-Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can send, but Toots said packages from OZ are taking a long time to be delivered.

      Delete
  13. What a clever and fun way to create an exchange. Nice to create individual and personalized gifts. You are so thoughtful. Thanks for sharing these gifts and the cat in a tea cup charm with us for T this Tuesday, dear CJ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, not so individual. They got the same things just in different colors 😸

      Delete
  14. Fancy them eating the cookies!!!

    Lovely gifts though.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  15. You put so much thought into the little parcels! I'm sure that both Tiggy and Toots were delighted to get theirs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were and it was fun to hear their reaction

      Delete
  16. Chocolate crayons. What a fun idea. It's fun to meet and get to know people who share what you love. I'm late stopping by since I had some things going on this AM, so hopefully you had a good T day. Did you see the upcoming weather? It looks like we're in for some nice warm weather if you believe the long range forecast. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just heard the long range and I'm crossing my fingers and toes 😸

      Delete
  17. Chocolate crayons! Cool. Such nice packages for Easter. I know that we don't get mail from Oz for over a month over here is U.S. Happy T Day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The chocolate crayons were fun Perfect for artists

      Delete
  18. Loved seeing the package and pretty envelope. Such a great way to reconnect with people. Snail mail is so expensive now to send a package that I rarely do it but i still love writing and receiving handwritten letters.
    Happy Tea Day,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snail mail that isn't a bill or an advert is the best.

      Delete
  19. That's so great that you are still in touch as a group after all that time. A lot of things seemed to drop off the map as the internet developed, so it's nice that you are still going just on a different platform. Love your little gifts and the cute chocolate crayons, never seen those before. I had to laugh when you mentioned the Tim Tams as I used to get people to send them to me when I was away from Oz, but now they sell them over here now. I did have cheese and wine confiscated at customs once and I'm pretty sure they had it for lunch haha Happy T Day Elle/EOTC xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was probably the same Customs Officials that confiscated my Tim Tams. They had your cheese and wine for lunch and the Tim Tams for dessert 😸

      Delete
  20. The Mail is almost back to normal, for most Post Codes, can go to Australia Post, and put in the Post Code to find out what is happening in that area..

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow that package got there faster than mail in the US. I sent a priority package to a friend that lives about 2 hours from me and she still hasn't received it. It's in transit. OK that was a week ago. Anyway love the memories and all that art. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete