Tuesday, June 2, 2020

T Stands for Second on the Second

At her 85th birthday party
12. August 2011
From 10. June 2016 The Friday Five Good Things

My neighbor and friend, Prissy, passed away this week 2 months shy of her 90th. birthday.  Five good memories about Prissy.

1. Prissy was like having another mother. Except, Prissy could say the same things Ma would say to me, but Prissy's words wouldn't push my buttons.

2. You could count on her to borrow a cup of sugar or an egg so you didn't have to run to the store in the middle of baking when you ran out of ingredients.

3. She was always good for a cup of tea. After the Eldest was born, I took a part-time job at the hospital where I worked when I was in high school and college. I worked an 8pm to midnight shift running the laboratory computer and scheduling blood tests from the various floors for the following morning. Monday nights, Prissy used to play poker with some lady friends. They took turns hosting the games. The ladies' game broke up around midnight. I'd get home between 1 and 2 AM.Prissy would see my car pull into the driveway and then yell over "Come and have coffee!"

4. During warm weather, I loved having tea on Prissy's enclosed back porch. Prissy's porch was the inspiration for the sun room.

5. When she used to have a big vegetable garden, she would send over tomatoes, cucumbers,zucchini, and rubharb. She gave me recipes for freezer pickles and zucchini bread.

For 30 years, I had tea with Prissy once a week, sometimes twice a week. I used to tease her that I visited with her more than I visited my own mother.  I'll miss the old girl, the tea, the chats, and her love and kindness.

Drop by hosts, Bleubeard and Elizabeth's blog to find out what the rest of the T Stands For gang is up to. If you want to play, include in your Tuesday post a beverage or container for a beverage. Don't forget to link your blog to Bleubeard and Elizabeth's page

It's your turn to play. From Elizabeth: Now it's time to share your Second on the 2nd.  The rules are quite simple and everyone is welcome to join the fun look back.  All you have to do is bring back a post that you are especially proud of, or perhaps one you shared before anyone knew your blog existed.  Any post, any genre, any artistic endeavor is acceptable.  Join hosts Bleubeard and Elizabeth to see what else is being served up the Second Time Around.

42 comments:

  1. Prissy sounds like a great old girl, I'm sure you miss her. Happy 2nd on the 2nd, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss her a lot. If I wanted a cup of tea, all I had to do was pick up the phone to call her and tell her put the kettle on I'm coming over.

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful post to repost. She sounded like a lovely lady. Happy T-Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was a really good neighbor and friend. Sadly, those kind of neighbors don't exist anymore, at least not in my neighborhood.

      Delete
  3. This was a fabulous second look and T post, too, CJ. Prissy was a gem and I'm glad you brought this back. Having read your comment to Anne, I have to agree that the neighbors in my neighborhood are the worst. At least the guy to the north. Thanks for combining your T Tuesday and your Second on the 2nd post with us this week. It was a very special one and I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I grew up, neighbors watched out for each other, each other's kids, and offered help. I don't really know the people in my neighborhood anymore. When new people moved in, or had a baby, I went over introduced myself, brought a baby gift. Never heard from them again. There's nobody in my immediate surrounding to ask for help in case of an emergency or just to shoot the breeze over a cup of tea. 😿

      Delete
  4. Thanks for sharing Prissy sounds like a wonderful friend to have had. Happy T and second on the 2nd

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fond memories :)

    I'd like to wish you a Happy Meteorological Summer ;) and Happy T Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Counting 18 days until the Summer Solstice 😊

      Delete
  6. I agree with the comments above....sadly neighbors aren't the same as they used to be.....I wonder why...... :-/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think busy with work (as in both partners work), family and all the hoopla that goes with that, kid activities, Internet... either people aren't home or in their home relaxing after working and running around. No time for socializing with neighbors or don't want to. And of course up here in the Northeast, as a rule we are quite "cold" compared to other areas of the country

      Delete
  7. we could all hope to look as good at 85. I'm sorry to learn of your friend. She sounds like an amazing lady ♥♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such beautiful memories of your dear friend! She sounds so wonderful, thinking of you and sending peace and comforting wishes 😀. Happy T Day! Stay safe and well! Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  9. So sorry for your loss CJ. You had a special relationship with Prissy. Thank you for sharing some lovely memories. Happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely reminiscences of a special lady, CJ. Prissy was clearly very special.

    Happy T-Day! Eileen xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Prissy must have been a lovely friend, keep the memories safe, they will be always with you.
    Happy T day wishes.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. You can see the love and light in Prissy's face. I am so sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was one of the kindest souls I’ve known

      Delete
  13. Oh, honey, I'm so sorry you lost your friend. What a joy you had her as long as you did.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good memories that you have taken away but I am sorry for your loss.
    Happy Tea Day,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  15. Prissy sounds like the best kind of friend. I loved reading about her. And I bet those years since you first wrote this post seem like the have flown by. But a little bit emptier too. I hope it was a happy T day and a great start to your June also. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes It’s hard looking across the street at her house, hearing something going on around town and no phone call asking what’s going on. I miss endless cups of tea and gossip

      Delete
  16. wow - Prissy sounds like a wonderful person - who was such an important part of your life. I really loved reading how she would even call you over after you would get off work ... So nice to read about her. I was a little girl in a kansas city neighborhood where all the neighbors ..especially the older moms or grandmoms watched out for all the kids in the neighborhood. I have fond memories of some of them but never saw them again once we moved to California when i was 10. so glad you shared this part of your life with this dear friend you had.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I ' m sorry for your lost CJ, this post is a great homenage to your friend. You can treasure the wonderful moments you spent with her, that' s the most important.💖
    I wish you a very nice day, stay safe and big hugs
    Caty

    ReplyDelete
  18. That was an inspirational post about your friend Prissy. She died several years ago but I bet you still think of her often.
    Thanks for sharing your memories of Prissy.
    Sorry for the late comment,
    Happy belated T-Day,
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since I live across the street, I think of her a lot when I see her house. Then some of the little gifts she gave me. She gave me a set of tea mugs just like a set she had at her house so I would have the same set.

      Delete
  19. Sounds as if you had a wonderful friend, you must miss her very much
    Jan x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Prissy sounds like a lovely lady, no wonder you miss her! I hope you have good neighbours now! Apologies for the late visit, our internet, which hasn't been so good lately suddenly went right down yesterday and was only restored mid morning today(a local issue)Belated Happy T Day! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, I can’t count on my neighbors the same way I could count on Prissy

      Delete
  21. How wonderful to have known a friend like Prissy.
    Yes, you will miss her … but you have some wonderful memories.

    God bless.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete