Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Introduction to Heraldry

Commission 16 in x 20 in, ink and gouache
Even though the view outside my front window looks like the tundra, there are only 76 days until the Spring session of classes at the Worcester Art Museum.

I'll be offering a new class for this session. Introduction to Heraldry.

Monday, 6PM - 9 PM
27. April - 18. May 2015, 4 weeks
(if we don't keep having snowstorms Sunday night into Monday)

During the Middle Ages, coats of arms were used to distinguish knights on a battlefield. In this introductory class, learn the language of heraldry to design and paint your own coat of arms, or your family coat of arms.  Learn Uncial, a 5th. c. script to add your motto or family name to your coat of arms. Continuing students may use the script of their choice.

Despite the course title, this class isn't a historical class in the rules and regulations of heraldry. We'll be bending the rules for personal expression and enjoyment. We'll look to the Knights exhibit and other pieces in the gallery for inspiration.


I hope you can join me (if I can get out of the driveway)

4 comments:

  1. What fun. Keep us posted on how this goes. I'd love to take it if I were closer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Geez, I hope the snow is gone by then! :(

    ReplyDelete