Thursday, February 7, 2008

Class Project


I like to include small projects in my classes so students can see and use some practical applications of calligraphy. Besides, most people like to have something to take home to hang on the fridge and wow family and friends.

As beginners, our writing is quite large and we may not have learned all our Italic letters so projects like books, poems, and quotes are beyond us at this step of the journey.

Circle of Crafters has some cute card templates available free. I adapted their Teddy card instructions to use with my beginners on Saturday. The cards will be 8 1/2" x 5 1/2" or a standard (American) sheet of paper folded in half. Held in the landscape format, this will give the beginners plenty of room to write a sentiment. We haven't learned all our letters yet, as this is only week 3, but we know the letters to be able to write "be mine".

Next step, to gather the paper, scrap paper and glue sticks they'll need to complete the project. All this preparation to make a card that will take less than one hour. And some people think all art teachers do is play.
This card is for Himself. The inside sentiment is how I sign my emails to Himself. Higgins Calligraphy ink and Speedball 1

3 comments:

  1. LOL! You work hard!

    The card is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Around here FINDING glue sticks for any project is a full time job. I searched 20 minutes before I remembered I'd hidden one in my purse. Then didn't even need glue sticks because I'd bought sticky backed hearts. SHHHHHHHHHHH---

    The card is cute and will WOW your class' families.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! This is why I don't teach! Once you factor in prep time you make 17 cents an hour!

    And there's also the fact I'm not a fan of people :-)

    ReplyDelete