Tuesday, November 7, 2017

T Stands For Remember, Remember the Fifth of November.

No, not because of Guy Fawkes Day. 5. November is my grandma' s birthday. Grandma would have been 122 years old. I thought this would be the perfect day to try to make her home-made macaroni, Cappellini, little hats. What others call orecchiette, little ears


I followed the pasta recipe found in the cookbook, Cooking with Nonna. I'm making the macaroni pictured in the upper-right corner. Had a cup of tea before I began.



Semolina flour and water are mixed to form a dough. I used my stand mixer according to the recipe to do the initial mixing.


When the dough came together to form a ball, it was time to knead. I did this by hand. The semolina dough is not as smooth or as easy to knead as the bread dough and ravioli dough, I'm used to working.


The dough ball wrapped in plastic wrap to rest. 


It's easier to work the dough in small batches. The cookbook stated to keep the dough under a damp towel. Ma used to keep her ravioli dough in two bowls to prevent the dough from drying out. One bowl to hold the dough, the other inverted as a cover. That's what I'm used to so that's what I did.





A small piece of dough is cut from a rope. Using a serrated knife to pull the bit of dough towards you, causes the dough to roll up. The macaroni could be removed and left to dry at this point. The pasta shape would be called cavatelli. To make the hats, you flip the dough over your thumb and turn the pasta inside out.


See? A little hat.


The cappellini are left to dry on cotton dishcloths. I was worried the macaroni would stick to the cloth so I lightly dusted the cloth with all-purpose flour. Grandma used to dust the macaroni with flour to help dry them out so they could be stored or given away. Since I'll be cooking the macaroni for dinner, I skipped this step. Though I laughed remembering a family story. 

Grandma had come to our house to stay for a week. It was probably a school vacation and since Ma worked, Grandma could babysit the Brother and me. The Brother was probably 11 or 12 years old. I would have been 5 or 6 years old. On her regular macaroni making day, Grandma began her chore. The Brother asked if he could help. She had finished forming the little hats but gave him the job of dusting the macaroni with flour. She went to the other side of the kitchen to do the washing up or left for some reason or other. The Brother decided the process was taking too long, and he could speed it up by dumping the entire 5 lb. bag of flour all over the macaroni. He went off to play with friends.

Grandma wasn't happy when she saw what he had done. She had to take each little hat and carefully dust it off to try to salvage the macaroni and was upset by the extra work and the wasted flour.  When Ma got home from work, Grandma gave her an earful. In her broken English, she told my mother, "He's a niza boy, mut a somonabaitch." 😹

Each week, Grandma made pounds and pounds of cappellini. Enough for my family, my aunt's family, herself, and she made the macaroni as thank you gifts for people who did favors for her. We used to tease her that she could put the Prince Macaroni Company out of business.


Everyone into the pool!


Home-made macaroni cooks quicker than commercial pasta. The macaroni is cooked al dente when they float to the surface of the water. The cappellini took 6 or 7 minutes to cook.



Mmmm. Cappellini smothered in gravy with sausage and meatballs (not pictured). I think I did Grandma proud.

Drop by hosts, Bleubeard and Elizabeth's blog to find out what the rest of the T Stands For gang is up to. If you want to play, include in your Tuesday post a beverage or container for a beverage. Don't forget to link your blog to Bleubeard and Elizabeth's page.

39 comments:

  1. Oooh, they look so yummy! Enjoy! I can imagine how good the taste. I loved the funny story, too! I think you have inspired me to make home made noodles again! Happy T Day, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh - my mouth gets watery now! AMAZING!
    Happy T-Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I loved your post and story with your Grandma-I have such fond memories in the kitchen with my Grandma too
    Loved all the photos and learning how to make this pasta-fun thanks
    Happy T Day Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy memories of Grandma and her kitchen and all the delicous food she made.

      Delete
  4. great post, great story, and great food too! I admire you for so patiently making those cappellini. True, there is nothing like fresh pasta. I've had it but never tried to make it. Your grandmother would be so proud of you. Happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure I'd have the patience to make macaroni every week like she did, but she would have been proud that I would try to keep up the tradition

      Delete
  5. Wow, I loved seeing how you made the capellini 😁. It was a true labour of love which was made even more special with the lovely memories of your Grandma! It looks so delicious and the shape looks perfect for your yummy sauce 😁. Thanks for sharing your memories and wishing you happiness this T Day! J 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They turned out pretty good for the first time around. I was pleased with my efforts

      Delete
  6. This little Irish girl is totally impressed! I've tried to make pasta but with less than successful results...I always blame it on my heritage! Yours looks delicious! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This recipe was pretty simple. Just water and semolina flour.

      Delete
  7. Oh you certainly did grandma proud! They look über delicious! Well done you. I don't make my pasta as often as I used to. And I never used a kitchen aid machine for it. Always by hand, just make a well in a pile of flour, put in some eggs and some wáter and off you go. Yes, I always make egg pasta. If I am to go through the trouble of making pasta by hand then I might as well make it special.
    Thank you for sharing your memory. So precios. It's good to remember a loved grandma. Of course mine has passed long ago, but I still remember her fondly.
    Happy T-Day
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've made egg pasta for filled ravioli. And I always cheat and mix the dough in the stand mixer. I'm not sure what Grandma would have thought about using the mixer. She made her dough by hand just as you described. But when I told my mother about using the stand mixer, she jumped on board.

      Delete
  8. I'm impressed with the making of shaped pasta. So time-consuming! Yours turned out perfectly, and I imagine your grandma smiling with satisfaction knowing the tradition lives on :) Happy T Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tradition continuing is what pleases me most.

      Delete
  9. What a fantastic post. Your "little hats" look perfect. I bet they tasted good too. What a nice tribute to your grandmother. And I love the story about your brother and the flour. My brother would have been the same, but with my grandmother it would be making pierogi. She was a fantastic cook and I am happy to have her recipe file. (It is a treasure). So that is why this story touches my heart so much. Happy T day. Ps-I hope you make this again and don't wait a year to do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful that you have your grandma's recipes. The family foods are our heritage and help keep the link to the past. I'm not sure I'll make home-made macaroni every week like Grandma did, but I won't wait a year before I make it again.

      Delete
  10. Love, love, love this post, CJ. From the beautifully illustrated directions for Cappellini to the funny funny family story - you spin a great yarn! Your little hats smothered in sauce look scrumptious as well.

    Happy T-day! Hugs, Eileen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. And thank you for your kind and funny comments and well wishes on my blog today ;-)

      Delete
  11. Now I'm hungry. This is fabulous. I am so glad you found that cookbook at B & N, because I feel your capellini made your grandmother proud. I've never made macaroni, but I've made egg noodles much like Lisca said she made her macaroni (egg in the well). I remember the few times I made it, it took all day between the mixing, the kneading, the cutting, and the drying. Wish I had one of those mixers. I might make pasta if I had one. Yours certainly turned out perfectly.

    Thanks for inviting us in to share your tea and capellini for T this Tuesday.

    BTW, sorry I'm late. I overslept after my stressful yesterday and went to vote in a local election.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad I listened to the message from Grandma and found the books at B & N, too. Home-made is time=consuming, but so worth it. The mixer is a help for those of us with arthritic hands.

      And never late, just prolonging a celebration.

      Delete
  12. Woo Hoo, CJ! Great job. I'm now hungry!:)
    That's quite a process. Loved the story of your brother. Grin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure with more experience, it will go faster.

      Delete
  13. Great story, and the pasta looks amazing! Happy T-day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think your grandma would be proud to see the pasta you made today. It looks absolutely delicious.
    Thank you for sharing the photos of how you made the pasta. The memories you shared were lovely as well. I smiled when I read about your brother showering the pasta with the whole bag of flour.
    Happy T day wishes.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They turned out well for a beginner. And, I'm sure she'd be pleased.

      Delete
  15. Oh CJ i think you did Grandma proud too!! That looks absolutely yummy! Thank you for the story too . You made me laugh out loud! :) Happy happy T day! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my! These look so yummy! And such a work of art when you put all that love and work into something.
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  17. A great tribute to your Grandma and the (almost) finished dish looks tasty! Love the story of your brother and Grandma!! Belated Happy T day! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think you did your Grandma proud too! Looks so good!
    That story is hilarious! I even said it to myself with an Italian accent! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What an ambitious project. I've never made macaroni...looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not difficult, but it is time consuming. But the end result is oh so worth it.

      Delete