Tuesday, June 28, 2022

T Stands for Mahoney's Garden Center


I had been seeing ads for Mahoney's Garden Center on television. Some of our friends get their flowers and stuff from Mahoney's. So one Wednesday we decided to take a ride to the Concord location (about 45 min. or so) to see what they had.


One of the first things we saw made me laugh. I'm terrified of spiders so this would be perfect.


We wandered around and I picked up some floral flats. I was immediately drawn to the Queen of Hearts petunias as I had never seen that variety before and added some verbena to coordinate.


There were lots of hanging baskets to choose from.


Miles and 


miles of flowers.  All in all a pleasant outing on a beautiful day. Since it was lunch time, we decided to find a place to eat. We were going to head up the road to Acton, the next town, for a pub-type restaurant Himself had found while looking for directions to Mahoney's. 

Just as we were making the turn out of Mahoney's Himself saw


an Italian restaurant and pulled into the driveway. I asked how come here? Though in truth I didn't care where we were going to eat. I didn't have to prepare a meal. He said he was worried about parking and walking distance at the other restaurant. He said there was something on their website that said if the parking lot was full, you could park across the street at the church. The parking lot only had 4 spaces.

We've eaten at PapaRazzi before at their location close to  MassBay College where Himself teaches. 


The restaurant wasn't crowded, and we were shown to a table at the back of the restaurant by the fireplace. Himself was happy to have a place where he could hang his cane without it crashing to the floor.


I had an Arnold Palmer (half ice tea and half lemonade)


In looking over the menu, one of the dishes I was thinking about selecting was seasoned with red pepper. I don't like hot and spicy food so I was happy there was a fire extinguisher close by.


We started with a beautifully arranged antipasto which included a delicious fig jam


There was also a basket of lovely bread. I love bread.


I ordered  Orecchiette con Salsiccia with sausage and broccoli rabe. My grandmother used to make orecchiette only she called them cappelini (little hats) and she served them in gravy (spaghetti sauce)


Himself had Veal Scallopini with potatoes and broccolini. 


For dessert, I had Limoncello Mascarpone Cake. I had also ordered a cup of Earl Grey tea, but that was no where in sight. Well, it was only a cup of tea and just as we were about to leave when


the waitress brought the tea. This  restaurant is a nice place if you want a very, very leisurely lunch.

Drop by hosts, Bleubeard and Elizabeth’s blog to find out what the rest of the T gang is up to. If you want to play, include a beverage or beverage container in your post. Don’t forget to link your blog from Bleubeard and Elizabeth’s page.

41 comments:

  1. Ohhh, all the flowers! I planted this year and hence will have to wait. Dumb.
    Hmmmm, your food looks yummy!
    To a happy T-Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The place was huge so we only saw a fraction of all the flowers, shrubs, trees the garden center had

      Delete
  2. That's a great garden centre you visited. Had to laugh at Miss Muffet's revenge, I need some of that! Your meal at the restaurant sounds great! And I always love the bread they serve, too. Happy T Day, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miss Muffet's Revenge is the perfect name for insect killer. 😺

      Delete
  3. Good morning, beautiful garden center those are so fun to walk through and find things. had to smile at the spider spray hadn't seen that before.
    before I knew I had celiac we used to enjoy going to an Italian restaurant that was family owned and everything handmade-the food was amazing and it came on huge plates. my husband usually wanted a cannoli after the meal-smiles
    Happy T

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cannoli is one of the best desserts 😊

      Delete
    2. agree I learned how to make them-I need to surprise Larry with some one day

      Delete
  4. Lunch looks very very yummy. I think your husband picked a good spot. Next time you can try to Pub. And the garden center looks amazing. I like the colors on those petunias. There's a garden center which sounds similar in Somersworth, NH, and for me, it is always very dangerous to my wallet to visit. Smile. Happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was more expensive buying flowers from the garden center than the box store. So worth it as there were varieties I had never seen at the box stores.

      Delete
  5. Garden centers with miles of flowers are very beautiful to visit, but it's hard to figure out what will grow in our very shady garden. So many of the most colorful blooms need full sun! I hope you show us how your choices grow in your own garden.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ummm.. make that a tea to go please...lol Hubs and i have found that service at restaurants can make no sense.. Terribly slow service when their not even busy and then excellent service when the place is over run by people.. go figure.. Your food looks delish... i would always choose a seat by the fireplace.. :) I've been seeing those stripey petunias at the Garden Centers here.. now i know their name! Queen of Hearts! Question is do they smell?? So many petunias these days don't smell.. I love petunias.. My favorite is Sugar Daddy.. a dark veined purple one that smells heavenly.. Happy happy T day CJ! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, the Queen of Hearts petunias are not stripey. Look closely at the reddish spot. It's actually a heart. Hence, Queen of Hearts

      Delete
  7. I need that spider stuff, they bite me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been bitten twice! No super powers just nasty reactions to the bite

      Delete
  8. Fancy antipasto! It all looks like it was yummy! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was beautifully plated and almost too pretty to eat

      Delete
  9. That is a really nice nursery. I think it was a good choice to eat where you did. That food looks amazing. Have a nice day today.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd love a trip to that garden center, and that restaurant looks wonderful. A fireplace? Count me in :) Happy T Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Miss Muffet's Revenge had me rolling on the floor. SO funny. I've NEVER seen anything that got rid of spiders before.

    Your trip to the garden center was amazing. Loved your choice of annuals. I'm sure you'll share them in your Garden Grow posts.

    What a name for a restaurant. I looked up the restaurant and you chose some good entrees and appetizer. Yummy looking dessert, too.

    Thanks for sharing your iced Arnold Palmer, your hot tea, your meal, and the garden center with us for T this Tuesday, dear CJ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that just the best name for bug killer?

      Delete
  12. Gorgeous garden center, and those petunias are so beautiful - I wouldn't have been able to resist them either.
    Always nice to have a road trip and stop for a meal so you get a break from cooking. Very filling and delicious looking meals- and the dessert-yum! Happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And leftovers so no cooking the following day

      Delete
  13. The garden centre looks amazing, I loved seeing all those pretty flowers and the colours are gorgeous 😀. That restaurant looks like a great place to eat, I'd happily join you for the pasta - yum! Wishing you a very Happy T Day 😁. Hugs Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The garden center was so huge we only saw a fraction of what they had!

      Delete
  14. A lovely garden center with beautiful flowers. I find them to be peaceful and inspirational to visit. I always want to go home and landscape my home with money I don't have. Haha.
    The restaurant sounds nice but that is way too long to wait for tea. But at least you didn't have to cook!
    Happy Tea Day,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish we had the money to have a landscaper lay out a gorgeous garden.

      Delete
  15. the petunias are awesome. if you bought some, be careful
    where you plant, at least around tt, the nayborhood harez like to munch on them…literally all the way to the ground

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the petunias were planted in hanging baskets. Too high for the bunnies to reach

      Delete
  16. wow...I so miss going to every Italian restaurant around where we lived and over at the beach area. I was/am addicted to Italian food and oriechetti oh yeah. The dishes look so good. Never seen a queen of hearts flower either. We never eat out anymore except to get an appetizer - I miss those days and seeing this post makes me miss it more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Before the pandemic, we started combining errands with going out to eat. Errands or appointments were planned around meal times. It was getting to be like a hobby. 😺

      Delete
  17. The food in the restaurant looks delicious - I would have ordered the orecchiette, too. The antopasto is very tempting, and oh I love fig jam. Throw the garden center in and this sounds like a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never had fig jam before so it was quite a pleasant surprise

      Delete
  18. lol what a great name for the bug spray -Miss Muffet's revenge haha. The garden centre looks like a good one, so many flowers! All the food looks delicious at the Italian place, and the bread too, yum yum. Leisurely lunch sounds good though if you have the time. Happy T Day! Elle/EOTC xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like a leisurely lunch or dinner. I just wish I didn't have to wait forever for the cuppa.

      Delete
  19. It sounds like the perfect restaurant for us. Your meal all sounded delicious. Wonderful share! Happy T Day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PapaRazzi is a very nice restaurant. Used to be a little bit upscale, but people don't get dressed up anymore

      Delete
  20. CJ, I would have bought the spider spray just for the name - how fun. Such lovely flowers there too. I know I would like to visit that store. The food and drink all look wonderful. Yum! Happy T-day a bit late. See you next week! Hugz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was tempted to buy the Miss Muffet's Revenge 😺

      Delete