Friday, October 19, 2012

The Friday Five

Scary, gross foods I will not eat:


1. Sweetbreads. Disguising the fact that this piece of offal is a gland, isn't helping.

2. Rocky Mountain Oysters. I wonder who thought "Oooh, let's fry up some lamb testicles. Bet they would be right tasty!" 'Spect I'll pass.

3. Tripe. When I was 6 yrs old, my uncle invited relatives and friends for a tripe party. The idea was to clean the tripe and then it would be cooked and eaten. The smell was gawdawful. I sat under the kitchen table and cried.

4. Tongue. Not my idea for a sandwich. I even have a hard time talking to the kid at the science fair who did the project on sense of taste.

5. Blue Cheese. Again, who thought, "Aw, this cheese went moldy. Let's eat it anyway, bet it's good"

Are there any foods you'd like to add to the list?

5 comments:

  1. Ewwww....rocky mountain oysters? LOL, someone sure didn't want a bit of the kill to go to waste. I must disagree with the blue cheese. OH, how I love blue cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll eat almost anything. My dad was a rancher and my husband is a hunter. We used to make calf fries (basically the same thing as rocky mountain oysters) growing up. My dad would bring home a bucket full after working cattle. :) They're pretty tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erica, I forgot about haggis. Yup, that's definitely not Little Princess food.

    Georgiana and Julie, perhaps those foods are a little like the Australian spread, Vegemite. As my Aussie friends told me, Vegemite is an acquired taste. Acquired at birth! :-D

    And, yes, I have tried Vegemite. Once is enough.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with you on everything except the blue cheese!

    ReplyDelete