Thursday, April 14, 2016

Throwback Thursday

Do you remember having to separate trash from garbage? The garbage went into a bucket in this special concrete bunker located outside the backdoor.

On trash day, one guy (drawn by lots? the rookie?) walked with a barrel hoisted on his shoulder through the backyards of the neighborhood. His job was to collect the garbage while the rest of the crew took care of the trash in barrels at the curb.

The garbage men that serviced the neighorhood where I grew up came early in the morning between 6 am and 7 am. I can remember lying in bed and seeing the garbage barrel float above the bushes outside my (first floor) bedroom window.

I think the garbage men were the signal we could go outside and begin our day during the Summer.

4 comments:

  1. I have never heard of this. And I'm almost afraid to ask, what is the difference between the trash and the garbage?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Garbaage is organic matter. Compost.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had a 'thing' in the ground up north that looked like that....it was for the dog's waste! lol ;)

    ReplyDelete