Thursday, April 21, 2016

Throwback Thursday

Was visiting the Morse Institute Library in Natick, Massachusetts. I spent a lot of time there when I was growing up. While the Brother got saddled with accordian lessons, I got to go to the library with Dad to wait. He'd drop me off upstairs in the children's library while he went downstairs to the adult library.

Sometime when I was in 5th or 6th grade (10 or 11 years old), the children's library went through a remodel and was moved to the basement. I liked the Alice in Wonderland stained glass window. I remember the nuns trooped a bunch of us to the library a time or two. I didn't use the children's library much after 6th grade. I preferred the slightly, musty scent of the books in the stacks of the adult library and the adventure stories. Three Musketeers, Count of Monte Cristo, The Saint, Scarlet Pimpernel

Several years ago, the library got a major face lift.  Dad was part of the library expansion committee. The new children's library still has the Alice stained glass window. There were other stained glass panels at the entrance depicting Make Way For Ducklings, Thomas the Tank Engine and other stories.

Library spaces are very different from when I was growing up. No longer places where people just went to read, study or research in a silent space. The library is now a community space. Programs from poetry readings to knitting take place. And  talking (in subdued tones) is allowed! Patrons can take out books, movies, and music. There are plenty of comfy chairs to sit and read. The library also has computer available for use. Free Wi-Fi and access to computer tutorials on a variety of subjects.

Have you been to your local library, lately?


1 comment:

  1. I go ALL the time! One of the best things about my new city is the library system. They've built new library buildings with all the bells and whistles! And it's only a few blocks away! Heaven, I'm in heaven!

    ReplyDelete