Sunday, April 10, 2016

Parallel Pen Trials

While at the museum open house, I played with a Pilot Parallel pen. The pen is a cross between a fountain pen with the size range and functionality of a dip pen. The pen comes with ink cartridges, but I don't like the ink. I find it takes too long to dry and sometimes smears. The cartridges when empty can be refilled with writing fluid of choice, but it's a messy procedure.

In a discussion group, someone suggested filling the barrel of the pen instead. I thought this was brilliant because you could easily change the nib size when desired.

First time use takes some fiddling to get the ink to flow. On smooth paper, the pen writes like a dream. I was writing in a Strathmore Visual 140 lb watercolor Journal and had difficulty on the rough paper which I don't encounter with a traditional dip pen. More play time with the pen is needed.

4 comments:

  1. Great piece - I've never read that quote before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you've ever seen the Disney movie, Dumbo, you've heard it.

      Delete
    2. I think I cried all the way through that one when I was 6.

      Delete
  2. Ah, yes....'Dumbo' wisdom! ♥♥♥ the feather!

    ReplyDelete