Saturday, August 24, 2013

Drawing Club

Wednesday  from 1 pm to 3 pm is Drawing Club day at the Worcester Art Museum. A different gallery is chosen each week, materials are provided  and visitors can copy the masters. Visitors can also bring their own art materials (dry media only).

The Young One and I decided to go last week. Armed with pencils and our journals, we found the drawing club in the Early American Portrait gallery. I'm comfortable drawing letters and stylized flowers, but the human figure is out of my comfort zone.  Perfect.

I chose the portrait of 9 year old Rebecca Orne and her pet squirrel by Joseph Badger as my subject.  The Young One who is quite accomplished in art (she gets her art gene from me (-:  ) gave me some pointers to help me get proportions a bit more in line. She also told me one of the instructors she had assisted during the summer program had told her students that they were only allowed to use their eraser 3 times. Draw a line, erase, draw a line, erase, draw a line. We laughed. I'm so lame, but it was a great time.

If you're looking for a way to take in some art and make some art, drop in for the Drawing Club on Wednesday afternoons from 1 pm to 3 pm. The Drawing Club is free with museum admission.

1 comment: