Friday, August 2, 2013

The Friday Five

After toodling around with my friend, Teague, we ended up back at her house. She asked if I wanted something to drink so I asked if I could try the soft drink, Moxie.

When I was a kid  saw bottles of Moxie at the home of one of my father's closest friend (more like a second father). When we visited, we were told we could never have Moxie because that was Charlie's, but we could have our choice of other soft drinks.

1. Moxie was invented and marketed as a Nerve Food in 1885 and was promoted as a health tonic. Some time during the early 1900s, the word "moxie" become associated with strength, vigor and guts.

2. It has a medicinal though not unpleasant bouquet from the main ingredient, gentian root.

3. The first sip is yuck.

4. While it poured out quite fizzy and had a good head, it quickly lost its effervescence and tasted flat. It wasn't as horrible as I thought it would be, but it definitely would not be my go to soft drink.

5. I told Teague, Moxie is an acquired taste. Acquired by Chamberlains. Teague is related through her mother's side of the family to John Chamberlain, the model for the logo. John is known as The Moxie Boy.

Have you ever tried Moxie?

2 comments:

  1. I've never heard of Moxie! but we have an equally disgusterous drink here called
    Lucozade! YUKKKKKK!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heard of it but not brave enough to try it! ;)

    ReplyDelete