Monday, January 27, 2014

The Second Loaf

turned out well.  The recipe called for the bread to be removed from the loaf pan after 20 minutes of baking. I was worried that the loaf would fall apart at this step as it did the first time around. (My own fault since I left out a key ingredient) I don't own a silicone bread pan just lined a regular loaf pan with parchment paper, a suggestion in the some of the comments. I also completed the baking on a second sheet of parchment paper on top of the oven rack just to prevent anything falling through.

The bread is very dense like a banana bread. Since there is no leavening, the bread does not rise and crown. The texture is earthy and because of all the nuts and seeds very crunchy. The taste is not overly sweet though the bread needs some sort of topping (jam, Nutella, tomato, etc.) to give it zip. Is it as life changing as its title? I'll let you decide.

The bread is a nice change of pace. The recipe can be adapted using different nuts and seeds depending on taste and what you may have on hand. Personally, I think it could use some dried fruit. The one ingredient that can not be left out or substituted is the psyllium. This acts like gluten in wheat flours and holds everything together.

Himself and The Eldest said the bread tasted okay and have dubbed it Birdseed Bread.

3 comments:

  1. Oooh, that looks goooood :) Yes to the raisins/cranberries etc.
    Similar to what we call 'survival' food. It will get you home if you have to walk a long way but it doesn't take much room up in a bag. Personally I love this kinda food, think I must have an inner squirrel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i just had a slice toasted with raspberry jam for breakfast. Even better.

      Delete
  2. Ummm, 'Birdseed Bread'.....I think I'll pass. Thanks anyway..... ;)

    ReplyDelete