Sunday, January 5, 2014

Auld Lang Syne

I found Ma's zeppole recipe. Though, I really think the recipe came from my Auntie Emma. Many times Ma would ask her mother for a recipe, but Grandma never measured anything out. Her measurements were a little flour, a little water, a little this, a little of that. If it doesn't look right, and is too dry, add a little more water. If the dough is too wet, add a little more flour.

What are zeppole? They are golden pillows of heaven. Okay, they're an Italian doughnut type treat. A silky, yeast batter is dropped into hot oil and deep fried to deliciousness They are golden brown on the outside, soft and fluffy on the inside.

I remember Grandma frying up batches of goodness for us more than Ma. My cousins, The Brother and I would practically grab the zeppole right out of the hot oil before Grandma had a chance to drain them on brown paper bags and let them cool.  My cousin Denise taught me to dip the zeppole in Grandma's sugar bowl which would get Grandma to yell at us in Italian.

So with a bit of nostalgia as the last, elder woman from my mother's side of the family,  I made a batch as our New Year's Day breakfast. Besides rolling the zeppole in granulated sugar, I suppose you can also roll them in powdered sugar or cinnamon sugar.

3 comments:

  1. You are making my mouth water! We used to go to a certain Church 'Feast' back on Long Island just for the zeppoles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We used to make these at the food service, only we added apples. They were wondrous. I could just about founder myself on them.

    ReplyDelete