Tuesday, August 29, 2017

T Stands For Eclipse

 Last Monday, I spent eclipse day with my friend, Teague. Schedules haven't coincided since she came over to bake bread in February. We made out plans before realizing that 21. August 2017 was Eclipse Day.

Outings always include eating lunch out, but I was so happy to see Teague and hungry I didn't take pictures of eating at Friendly's. I had a bacon cheeseburger with waffle fries and a vanilla Coke. Teague had a crispy chicken wrap.

Now, I'm pretty sure Teague wasn't super interested in seeing the eclipse, but I knew she would indulge me. I didn't have the special eclipse glasses, but I had made a camera obscura from two pieces of a white cardboard CD folder.

Here in Massachusetts we only saw around 65% obscuration. Some areas around the state had clouds and for a little while, it looked like we wouldn't be able to see the eclipse either, but the sun came out.  Teague indulged me as I knew she would while I tested to see if my camera obscura would work on a patch of sunlight coming through the kitchen window.


You can see the start of the eclipse


Then around 2:45 PM, we went out to the front yard where the sun wasn't obscured by trees.


Teague's husband was working from home, and he took a break to come out to play. He held the pinhole lens and


I took a picture of the eclipse. See that crescent moon shape? That's the sun. Cool, huh? One of the neighbors came out to see what we were doing.


After all that sciencing, we needed to treat ourselves to dessert. I had seen an advertisement on television for a Dairy Queen Buy One Blizzard Get the Second at 99 cents so we went to the Dairy Queen. The promotion must have only been in certain DQs, and not in the one we visited. Since we were still full from lunch, we ended up getting mini Blizzards. A DQ Blizzard is a soft serve ice cream with added chunks of candy, cookies, or brownies served in a paper cup with a plastic spoon with a long handle (like an iced tea spoon). Teague had one with M&M candies and I had the brownie and fudge sauce. The small size was the perfect Goldilocks treat. Just the right size.

Drop by hosts, Bleubeard and Elizabeth's blog to find out what the rest of the T Stands For gang is up to. If you want to play, include in your Tuesday post a beverage or container for a beverage. Don't forget to link your blog to Bleubeard and Elizabeth's page.

35 comments:

  1. Lucky you to have seen the eclipse. Glad you had a fun day out, and those dessert look fantastic, yummy! Happy T Day, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a great day and the Blizzards are yummy.

      Delete
  2. I've noticed new dairy queens opening up lately. That ice cream looks YUMMY! Like your eclipse photo too. I didn't think to take any eclipse photos, but in 7 years, I certainly will be better prepared! :) Happy T day. Hugs-Erik

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to be better prepared too to buy glasses ahead of time.

      Delete
  3. That's awesome and great you recruited assistants enabling you to take the photo! Love dq blizzards, none near us though, maybe a good thing๐Ÿ˜‹๐Ÿ˜‰

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always good to have minions. :-D The closest DQ to me is near Teague's house so a good thing it isn't across the street from mine.

      Delete
  4. That's about all we had of the eclipse here in PA too but I enjoyed it anyway. Nice teamwork to get a photo or two:) That DQ cup is quite an indulgence-wow. Happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun acting like we were on a school field trip.

      Delete
  5. Oh my, you had me at Dairy Queen, make mine a chocolate malt pleeeeaaaassseee...lol ๐Ÿ˜€. When we holiday in America we have been known to visit DQ three times in one day for chocolate malts...lol...as you might have guessed we don't have this chain or drink over here in the UK ๐Ÿ˜‰. I enjoyed seeing the eclipse and the fun time you had too. Happy DQ T Day! J ๐Ÿ˜Š

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DQ is a real treat. So many flavors. So little time. :-D

      Delete
  6. we were at 98% eclipse and I really loved it--I wanted to drive where it was 100% to get the whole experience of total darkness but decided we just were not up to all that traffic-Missouri was bombarded by viewers too.
    Happy T Day Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another blog friend traveled from Ohio to where he could see 100% totality. The traffic must have been horrendous.

      Delete
  7. So glad you had fun with the eclipse.. We were 90% of totality... The quality of light was just like it is just before a big storm... i was hoping we would get darker... And great... now i need NEED a blizzard...lol strawberry/banana for me please... Happy T day!! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was hoping the light would be darker, but it was just like a cloudy day. DQ Blizzards are so good, aren't they?

      Delete
  8. I loved your science project. I also faced the ground to see our eclipse. One station said 93% totality, but I didn't think it was that much, because it didn't get as dark as I expected. Still, it was so awesome because of the calm, darkness, and coolness that came about, sort of like just before a tornado.

    LOVE those Blizzards. Haven't had one in about two years. Sounds like you enjoyed yours. Thanks for sharing it and your eclipse with us for T this Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun to see the camera obscura work. The Blizzards were a perfect treat.

      Delete
  9. I forgot to mention that I buy my cats food at Sam's (wholesale members only club Sally belongs to), but the 60% off all cat food for two days only had me jumping for joy. I can't possibly afford great cat food unless it's as cheap as what I get at Sam's.

    Also, the photos were taken before I got sick (even before I got the mold out of my basement), so Urgent Care just happened to be in the picture, but had no meaning or significance. Thanks for asking, though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved seeing how well our eclipse viewers worked and am pleased to see yours worked good, too. Great eclipse photos!

    The mini-Blizzard looks plenty big to me. Yummmm Happy T Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised at how well it worked. The mini Blizzard was plenty big too.

      Delete
  11. Sounds like a fun-filled day:)
    I'm glad.
    Our eclipse viewers looked pretty similar as did the size of the eclipse. I want glasses for the next one;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next time, I won't let grass grow under my feet and will order glasses ahead of time.

      Delete
  12. What a beautiful event which I'm sure will be remembered for a long time. Wonderful photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was cool to see everyone coming outside to experience the eclipse.

      Delete
  13. I think any eclipse is exciting and I love how you celebrated! Happy T day! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  14. It looks like you all had a great time taking photos and seeing the eclipse. The dessert you had to celebrate the occasion looks delicious.
    Happy T day.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Now you have me wanting to go to DQ!!! :-/

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your photo of the eclipse! well done you...and that blizzard looks pretty darn yummy...happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That sounds like a fun day, CJ. Good friends, good food and some sciencing for good measure. Great photo of the eclipse!

    Happy T-Day! Hugs, Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is so cool how you captured the eclipse!!! Now, I want ice cream! LOL!

    ReplyDelete