Sunday, August 27, 2017

How Does Your Garden Grow?


The grackles arrived in a huge flock. There must have been 3 dozen birds. They landed together and then lifted off together, called a murmuration. Just the movement of me readying the camera and moving towards the windows caused them to rise en masse. I had a hard time capturing them. You can see one in flight at the very top of the photograph and a few dark spots in the trees. The grackles usually arrive in October. Ink loved watching the grackles. Dozens of snacks pecking at the lawn.


The cardinal, mourning doves, and squirrel stopped by for an afternoon snack.


The squirrel took a drink of water from the birdbath.


A very nice picture of Chocolate eating his greens.

Garter snake image courtesy of Pexels.com
As I was turning on the garden hose to fill the birdbath, I startled a harmless, garter snake. He startled me, too. He slithered under the snowball bushes in the front yard. I didn't have my camera so couldn't capture his image. Not that I'd be able to as the garter snakes are shy and fast. A garter snake used to live by the back door before the sunroom was added. The girlies called him Mr. Scalely.


I'm disappointed the morning glories and moonflowers never bloomed. The plants in the bucket don't look too good. Some of the leaves have a yellow mottling.


The morning glory vines in Ink's garden look better, but still no blooms. 


Someone knocked over one of the milkweed plants.


The sunflower petals have mysteriously disappeared. There are no petals on the ground.


Late Summer allergy season is in full bloom. Goldenrod growing with the honey suckle vine cops the blame.


The real culprit is ragweed. I've been diffusing allergy relief essential oils to help with our symptoms.

How does your garden grow?


19 comments:

  1. Your garden is looking good. I'm sure Ink enjoyed watching them, for my cat bird-watching was always a fave pastime. Hope those flowers soon bloom. I've just planted some potted Chrysanthemums in my balcony garden. Have a great Sunday, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our growing season is not long here in central Massachusetts. First frost is usually in mid-October. That's only a month and a half away. )-:

      Delete
  2. I had never heard of a grackle before, although having looked them up I have seen them on our travels to America and it's nice to associate them with Ink now too 😁. I enjoyed seeing the pretty Cardinal,they are such a lovely birds and remind me of when I visited our friends in Maine 😁. I hope your Morning Glory flowers soon and wishing you a Happy Sunday! J 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The male cardinal generally presides over the feeder.

      Delete
  3. That's too bad about the morning glory vines having no blooms. Every year, plants do something different! You never know! We have lots of grackles too! That's interesting about your sunflower! I guess someone was hungry! LOL! Do you have goldfinches? I've seen them eat sunflower petals. Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have a pair of goldfinches. Didn't know that and you solved the mystery.

      Delete
  4. Yeh, I solved the mystery! CJ, I don't have a green thumb, I just love being outside and I always plant easy things. If you get some rose of sharon, like I said, south side. I would water them for a complete week, and give them some fertilizer. After that, I never water them, unless we have a very bad drought. But, be prepared for the babies! LOL! If you don't mind that, let them grow. They are very easy to cut and you can trim them any way you like! Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right after I read your comment about goldfinches eating sunflower petals, I saw the male goldfinch standing on the sunflower head. Thanks for the tips on growing Rose of Sharon.

      Delete
    2. That's funny you saw the goldfinches after my comment! LOL! One thing, I know I keep saying south side for the Rose Of Sharon, but they can be on the east side too!

      Delete
  5. So, goldfinches eat sunflower petals? Who knew? Another tidbit of useless information that I now know. (Useless because we don't have goldfinches and I'll never plant sunflowers....lol) ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But, you may be on Jeopardy and would need that information. Birds for $1,000. Yellow bird that eats sunflower petals? What is a Goldfinch. Winner, winner. Chicken dinner!

      Delete
  6. I love seeing your garden and the critters in it. I planted a lone sunflower and it didn't make it:( It's not easy to kill a sunflower but I managed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't plant the sunflower. A bird or a squirrel did. And all I have to do is look at plants and they die. Surprised the plants in my garden are still standing.

      Delete
  7. Amazing how the signs of fall are starting to show up. And it's not even September. Summers are too short-but I do appreciate your countdown.Seems like a long way to go right now. :( Oh well, time to live each day as it comes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, but I'll keep wishing for Summer.297 days to go!

      Delete
  8. They are very easy to cut and you can trim them any way you like! Big Hugs!


    ทางบ้าน

    ReplyDelete
  9. morning glory and gardens. you have a very nice garden
    http://fastersurtehave.blogspot.dk/
    here is my garden

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome blog, i always enjoy & read the post you are sharing.Thank for your very good article...!

    หนังออนไลน์

    ReplyDelete