Thursday, August 3, 2017

Throwback Thursday - The Notebooks

To clear up some confusion, the Notebook passages posted on Throwback Thursday were written by my father and found by me after he passed away. They were his attempt to tell the family history. He was in his late 80s or early 90s when he wrote them. Today's chapter:

I know that when I was at the Center the first year at the play school the 2nd year there I visited some of the girls that were there the first year returned. I was friendly with the dietician and she had an assistant. Julie was her name. [ed: something I can't decipher. looks like: the last ???] She was a lovely college girl also in dietician courses. I did fall for her and evidently, she may have for me.  One little girl came in the room crying. Her shoelace had untied and she thought it was the end of the world. A cute little thing with an older sister about 2 years of so older. A beautiful pair. I calmed her down and sat down on the floor and tied her shoelace. When I got through, I got up and I turned around as I was getting up and saw the assistant looking at me with eyes that seemed to say I love you and I just stood there and just looked at her wondering why she looked at me that way.

A day or two later I was talking with Kay (Katherin Campana) and point blank she asked me if I was in love with Julie.

I was taken aback and she asked again. Something was going on but I didn't know why or what. I said I can speak for myself. I was interested in her she was older. Lived in Newton and her father was an engineer. I had nothing to give her at that time. So I didn' not what was from Kay's asking me something between the two over me. As I write this I still wonder what would have resulted.

Of course, there was another one I was interested in and I called her Princess. Much older. And a girl my age that was my first love. Her name was Helen. I even got her to volunteer at the Center. It was ok for a summer into a spring and that was the end. She went to another boy. He had a car and I guess that's what she wanted. She could go riding, and he could take her to the movies, etc. And he also as it was said knocker her up and he did marry her. So much for that.

Charlie Arnold got fired the last year of my high school. By Sept. or Oct. he got a job establishing the Waltham Boys Club. And as he was getting things going he told me that he would give a job and would be able to do this as I graduated. I worked hard and made the honor roll again.

At one point I was stopped by my French teacher, Mr. Clarke, as we were changing classes. He asked me about marks. He asked me if you were taking a test and wanted to get a score of 75 could you do it? And how about an 80? I could do that. A 90? Yes. 100? Yes. At that point, he left. He appeared disgusted and I thought it was rather wonderful that I could get whatever mark I wanted. It took me some time to figure out that his attitude was that I was not hitting and working with all my cylinders.

17 comments:

  1. What a story, and what a great moment that must have been. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seems like your dad had an eye for and way with the ladies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful to be able to read these stories from the past. Your Dad was a ladies' man. Oh to be young and in love again.... Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of these stories I've never heard before. Fun to learn what Dad was thinking as a teen.

      Delete
  4. Your father must have been a real ladies man when he was young. So glad he had Charlie to look out for and mentor him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He thought he was a ladies man even when he was older :-D

      Delete
  5. ah......spring.. and any season... and a young man's thoughts turn to love; or maybe love; or is it love ♥♥♥ it is nice your dad made honor roll again; I'm sure it was not an easy task ~~~ ☺☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As the French teacher pointed out to Dad, he could do a lot of things if he put his mind to it.

      Delete
  6. Fascinating as always. Thanks for sharing these with us.

    Did you see your belated birthday wishes?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love reading these each week. As a teenager your dad certainly liked the ladies, didn't he? But I guess lots of boys are like that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your dad was a real ladies man! It's so much fun reading these stories!

    ReplyDelete