Thursday, August 17, 2017

Throwback Thursday - The Notebooks

To clear up some confusion, the Notebook passages posted on Throwback Thursday were written by my father and found by me after he passed away. They were his attempt to tell the family history. He was in his late 80s or early 90s when he wrote them. Today's chapter:

My fourth year was like my Junior year. I was on the honor roll. Charlie got fired and for a while, things looked bad for him, but he landed a job to establish the Boys Club of Waltham. (Before Halloween)

One of the first things he did during the beginning of his term, he learned that Halloween was just a night in which clotheslines were cut, store windows smashed, street lights shot out with BB guns, etc. He suggested to the business association that they hold an event, that they supply the chalk and pay $25.00 to the artist who chalked the best work and down to $5.00. Halloween came and went and it was a success. No windows were broken. The first time in years. He got good publicity and the business sector was happy.

13 comments:

  1. Great story, I love reading these excerpts from your Dad's life. Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea to keep the kids occupied and out of trouble! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. whoa......that's some serious pranking on Halloween; we thought tee peein peoples trees and homes was bad !! ☺☺ that was an ingenious plan Charlie had though ♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Who knew that Halloween used to be so nasty? I would have guessed it would have been less pranks than nowadays, but I guess not. Love the artist and chalk idea. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew those kinds of pranks, but on Cabbage Night, the night before Halloween. Cutting clothes lines, soaping windows (not breaking them0, egging houses, festooning trees with toilet paper.

      Delete
  5. Great PR for Charlie, and a good example to show your dad. I think it was quite genius to actually PAY children to stay out of trouble. I bet the cost was less for all the merchants than having to replace broken windows and such. I guess I grew up in a less violent time, because I'd never heard of cutting clothes lines or breaking windows. Vandalism wasn't thought of in my small town.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlie understood kids. Knew how to keep them entertained and out of trouble.

      Delete
  6. that was an ingenious plan Charlie had though ♥♥


    ทางบ้าน

    ReplyDelete