Tuesday, June 18, 2019

T Stands For Hic Sunt Dracones and Ted Geisel - Part 1


I mentioned in passing I had traveled to the Wilds of Western Massachusetts. To a Bostonian, this is the edge of the world. On a map, it would say Hic Sunt Dracones. Here There Be Dragons. This attitude comes from the simple fact that Boston is not nicknamed the Hub because the city is laid out in a spoke and wheel pattern. It's because Boston is the Hub of the Universe. Bostonians only need a brief walk or  a short subway ride (if the trolleys are on time and don't derail!) to art, history, sports, music, theater, universities. We don't really need to leave the city to find entertainment or education.

Bostonians also measure distance in terms of time. How long will it take me to get from here to there? !0 minutes, 20 minutes, but if it's an hour or more, that moves into the realm of an expedition requiring snacks and a change of clothes.

As I am now used to (well, sort of) living in the Land of Hic Sunt Dracones, I bravely drove an hour West of where I live.

My friend, Al (now living beyond the end of the Earth in Portland, Oregon) was visiting her family homestead in Springfield, Massachusetts. She was house and fur baby sitting for her brother. She invited me for a play date at The Amazing World of Dr. Seuss Museum and Dr. Seuss National Memorial Sculpture Garden.

Ted Geisel is better known to the world as Dr. Seuss, celebrated writer and illustrator. We started our visit at the museum with lunch at The Blake House Café. Rather than show you pictures of my half eaten lunch as I was too busy catching up with Al to take a picture, there is an image of a cup in the many photographs I took. That will be my drink reference.

Can you find it here or there? Can you find it any where?

We started our tour of the museum in the sculpture garden.




The museum is in this house.



This was my favorite sculpture. Ted at his drawing board with the infamous Cat in the Hat as his muse.



Behind Ted's chair is Who-Ville.



This is me helping Sam-I-Am carry the platter of Green Eggs and Ham. This was the very first book I learned to read all by myself.




another Who-ville house.



My Christmas alter ego.  The Grinch, not his dog, Max.

The first floor of the museum was geared to children with many interactive exhibits. The first floor was about Ted and family and growing up in Springfield.


Play the labyrinth game to get Ted from his house to school and back again.


Ted and his big sister, Marnie.


Ted's childhood book case.


The Cat in the Hat and I look alike.






Another of my favorite Seuss books. One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish



I do not like green eggs and ham!


Did you spot the cup?

Next week, I'll take you upstairs to see Ted's studio and some of his amazing artwork and notes to family and friends.




Drop by hosts, Bleubeard and Elizabeth's blog to find out what the rest of the T Stands For gang is up to. If you want to play, include in your Tuesday post a beverage or container for a beverage. Don't forget to link your blog to Bleubeard and Elizabeth's page.

32 comments:

  1. Now that is a place I would LOVE to visit, oh my, so many wonderful sculptures, so much fantasy, just great. Nice to see YOU, too! Happy T Day, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The museum really captures the imagination of Geisel.

      Delete
  2. Wow what an amazing art museum to visit. I would have loved this. Interesting about Boston as well-we are off to the lake house to work this morning so I didn't find the cup-will be back later to look for it. Happy T hugs Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Seuss museum is a fun place for old and young alike.

      Delete
  3. What a great exhibit. I'm only slightly jealous.... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your description of what Bostonians consider the land of the dragons made me laugh. And I liked the part about that length of trip requiring snacks: good thinking! (In some of the old Black and White movies that take place in NYC, they refer to going to CT as "going to the country.") I didn't know there was a Dr. Seuss museum in Springfield, MA. I only knew that area as "The Big E" territory. You took nice photos there, and I'm looking forward to seeing next week's continuation of them. Happy T-Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who knew that the edge of the Earth could have culture? =^,.^=

      Delete
  5. That looks like an amazing museum, all those sculptures! We liked Boston, our so lived there for a while, we were fascinated by the town names as our eldest son lived in Essex, England at the time, in Braintree, everywhere had the same names
    HappyTday
    Jan x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Pilgrims who settled this area left Plymouth, England to land in Plymouth, Massachusetts. I suppose when they settled the area, maybe as a comfort they gave a lot of towns the familiar names they left behind.

      Delete
  6. It looks like a place that would bring back fond memories :) I love all those sculpture displays! Happy T Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the experience was like walking into one of the books. A lot of fun.

      Delete
  7. I found the cup in Ted's bookcase. It's the only one I found. I have never read anything by Dr. Seuss, to my shame, I'm sure. I certainly enjoyed this museum, as it was fun to see what I have missed in Seuss's stories and poems. Thanks for sharing this rare event and museum with us for T this Tuesday.

    BTW, in KS, we give directions by miles, like 1 mile west and 1/2 mile south. However, like in Boston, LA is the same. It's all how many minutes on each freeway you have to travel (and everything is connected by freeways in LA! One thing you forgot about Boston is, they don't like outsiders or tourists.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not that we don't like outsiders or tourists. We do. It just takes us a long time to warm up to people. Usually, if you move into a new area, you're considered a townie when the first person you ever met dies or you bury 7 generations of your kin which ever comes first. It's what happens when you let Puritans settle an area. =^,.^=

      Delete
    2. And I'm glad you found the cup. As far as I can tell in this group of photos, there is only one cup.

      Delete
  8. what a really fun place to visit-would love to see that! Thanks for sharing your wonderful outing, and happy T Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you will get a chance to visit some day.

      Delete
  9. How fun! I am putting this on my bucket list! Glad you could have a good visit with your friend. And I did see the cup, the cup I saw! LOL Happy T Day1

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, what an amazing destination. I loved all the photos. My family loved the DR Seuss books when they were kids.
    The sculptures and displays were fantastic.
    I am looking forward to seeing more of your visit.
    Happy T day wishes.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the books when I was a kid. So much more interesting than Dick, Jane, Sally, Spot, and Puff.

      Delete
  11. I did not realize Dr. Seuss had his own sculpt garden. How cool. And aren't you the cutest thing ever!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Even being a native of Worcester, Springfield is the end of the world. NH seems closer than Springfield. I think I might have been there only once in my entire life. But I think you found the perfect place to visit. It looks really fun and interesting. And I love seeing your photo too. I just finished school today-hurrah- and I hope you had a great T day since I am late getting by today. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hurrah for Summer vacation. Looks like you'll have perfect weather this weekend to go out on the boat or to laze in the hammock.

      Delete
  13. Wow, what a fabulous place to visit! The sculptures and exhibits look amazing, such a fun and happy exhibit - I love it 😁. Thanks for the smiles and sending you happy T Day wishes! Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And the weather cooperated so it was a perfect day for an outing.

      Delete
  14. how fun!!you look as though you were having such a delightful time!
    great post:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's impossible to not have fun when immersed in the world of Dr. Seuss.

      Delete
  15. OOhhh this museum is really fantastic CJ !! I love all the sculptures I´ve seen, the elephant is gorgeous. Interesting land of dracones. Happy T-day !
    I wish you a very nice thursday,
    Big hugs, Caty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sculptures are all from stories written by Dr. Seuss. The elephant is Horton from the story, "Horton Hears a Who".

      Delete
  16. Don't know how I missed this last week. My apologies. I really enjoyed this post. I agree with you, the resemblance is amazing! 😉

    ReplyDelete