Friday, June 21, 2019

The Friday Five Good Things

Five good things that happened this week.



1. When a (full) professor retires, it's customary for the school to give him a chair with the school seal on it. Himself was asked what kind of chair he wanted. A traditional captain's chair or a rocking chair. He chose the rocking chair. It arrived with some assembly required 😸 (That's what was in the large box on the front steps)



2. Had tea with Red. I hadn't seen her in such a long time I almost forgot what she looked like. She has an incredible variety of birds at her feeders and critters in her yard. I saw bluebirds, hummingbirds, a cat bird, 2 bunnies, and 2 determined squirrels who got into one of the feeders.

3. I had a nice lunch with my teacher/mentor/friend, Gerry. She also sent me home with bags of calligraphy magazines and books.

4. Saw the hummingbird at the honeysuckle vine. He refused to let me take his picture. Twice!

5. Today is the Summer Solstice!

How was your week?

15 comments:

  1. That's a wonderful chair your husband got, wow! When I retired after 35 years teaching I got a thank you letter for my loyal service to the state of North-Rhine-Westphalia! Have a great weekend, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Himself retired last year. When he left, he received a swag bag with a t-shirt, a screen cleaner, and some other little odd thing. So it was rather a surprise a year later to receive the beautiful chair.

      Delete
  2. That chair is gorgeous. I wish public high schools did the same thing. You did have a good week. Me too. Although I drove to Worcester in the rain yesterday to visit with my mom and the driving was no fun at all. What was I thinking? happy Friday and better yet, Happy summer! hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is a beautiful chair and made in Gardner, too! You were thinking you would spend some time with your mom. What a good daughter you are.

      Delete
  3. How nice for Himself!!! Good week all around! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. well that is a great gift - a rocking chair. Sounds like you had a good week. That's always good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most weeks are good. And even when things go pear, you can still find one thing good.

      Delete
  5. Playing catch-up is a bit difficult, especially when I was gone for two days, only to come home to an incredibly unstable internet.

    I can tell your week was better than mine. Loved the rocker. Your husband was quite lucky.

    Sounds like you had a wonderful week with friends and mentors. Good for you, dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you were able to stop by for a visit. Hope your Internet woes are settled.

      Delete
  6. I love rockers, and this one's a treasure. Congrats!

    Oh! A catbird! Sweet :) I haven't seen one since my childhood. Happy Summer Solstice :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last year, or maybe the year before, we had a catbird that visited the honeysuckle vine a couple of times. I haven't seen the catbird again unless I'm mistaking it for another variety.

      Delete
  7. Just love that chair …
    Happy Summer Solstice.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a great week! What a beautiful rocking chair and such a lovely way to thank your hubby for his years of service! We have a rocking chair in our bay window in our front room, so relaxing 😁. Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete