Thursday, June 27, 2019

Throwback Thursday - The Notebooks

Photo by Louis from Pexels
To clear up some confusion, the Notebook passages posted on Throwback Thursday were written by my father and found by me after he passed away. They were his attempt to tell the family history. He was in his late 80s or early 90s when he wrote them. Today's chapter:

After that I had a number of flights to New York for meetings. At one of the times I went there were not taxis around, and I did not know my way around. This was at the airport. So I saw a sky cap. I asked him if there was another way I could get to where I wanted to go. "Yes, "he said. "Follow me. I'll put you on a bus that stops right at an intersection across from a clothing store and gave it a name. Which as usual I forgot. I did not keep a diary for things like this.

He took me to the bus which was about to leave. Told the driver to make sure he dropped me off at the store and directed me to the office building I wanted to go in. He did this. I went up the stairs, got out of the elevator and went into the office.

The company attorney who was the individual who interacted with the food supplier came in about ten minutes later. He greeted me. And asked if I got there by taxi. I said no I took the bus and I got off at the clothing store. He said there was no clothing store on that street. And one of the employees said yes there is. I shop there.

The attorney when I was leaving after completing my meeting said, "How do you like it, a stranger comes to my town and tells me what's there." He also said the next time you come, come by a little later than you did today. It kind of showed me up that an attorney who has got to wake up early and get the first plane out of his airport and flies a good distance and gets here before me doesn't look good for me. 

I attended a few more meetings and I got a call from the clerk of court one day that I had 40 trials and he was calling all the attorneys that were involved to see what could be done. He thought that to try the cases  separately would take months. He set a date and I called New York. Spoke to the Chief Attorney on what was going to happen. And I suggested that  he should come and I said I don't have the authority to make the decision. It will have to come form the President of the Corporation. This judge is of a mind to consolidate these cases and get them off the dockets. and he also suggested that he would like to have some one who had the corporate authority to be able to approve whatever the result.

So he came and it was quite a session. Our chief more than held his own with our [ed: Massachusetts] lawyers who had ganged up on the corporation.They had a letter from the manufacturer that the freezers were made to sell for $400 or $450 and not the high price that this company charged. But there were other charges. Salesmen cost percent as they earned 6% on every contract. The result was that all the attorneys present accepted the settlement price.

While we settled this and also extended the same settlement to anyone who had a complaint.

10 comments: