Monday, July 2, 2012

Mind Reading

I have a super power. I can read minds. Whether it's a cosmic collision or just a coincidence, it's been happening more frequently.

Not long ago, I was having a test. If you're female and over 40, you know the one. Necessary, but uncomfortable. The technician was busy positioning the machine and positioning me. It was early in the morning, not my best time. I was holding onto the handle trying to grin and bear it as the technician chattered away in a high-pitched voice while pushing, prodding, and making her adjustments.

I thought her voice sounded like a cartoon. Though my thought at the time was #$%@% cartoon. As I said, it was early morning and I just wanted the process over for another year. I'm pretty sure my facial expression was in neutral. It doesn't always happen, but I'm sure my thought didn't flit across my face.

As the last tweak was made, the technician gave a nervous giggle. "I don't know why I sound like a cartoon this morning." And there I was caught in the machine, holding my breath to keep still and trying very hard not to laugh so another take wouldn't be necessary. Sometimes a super power ain't all that it's cracked up to be.

1 comment: