Monday, December 30, 2019

Baby Weems

Last Thursday’s post about best gifts received got me all nostalgic and reminded me of another book I loved as a kid. The book, Baby Weems was written in 1941 by Joe Grant and Dick Huemer. Only I just recently found out, it wasn’t originally a book, but a Disney short animation as part of a feature called The Reluctant Dragon.


This version is a bit of a tour of the Disney animation studio. The storyboard for Baby Weems is shown and explained. It starts around the 27 minute mark and runs for about 10 minutes or so.

If you’re not into watching the video, the short version of the Baby Weems story is a young couple have their first child, a beautiful baby boy. At two days old, Baby Weems starts talking. Suddenly, he’s a phenomenon and the whole world is interested in him. He meets with the noted authorities of the day. While Baby Weems  is whisked all around the world on tour, his poor parents sit next to a radio which they rock in a cradle. Then Baby Weems becomes ill. His temperature soars. The world waits to find out if the poor baby will recover. He does recover, but he’s just a normal baby. The world soon forgets him, and his parents are the two happiest people in the world as they just wanted a darling normal baby.

Did you have a favorite book, story, or movie that you loved as a kid?

23 comments:

  1. The Chronicles of Narnia, Enid Blyton books, Beatrix Potter stories and many more. Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I had a nice book with some Beatrix Potter stories, too. Love her illustrations.

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much for explaining (I sit here on WiFi, but it´s like a 56k-modem!)
    Oh, I can imagine the parents were happy with the way it all turned out to be!
    I read so many books from when I was able to read...

    Hanni und Nanni, you call them St. Clare's was one of my favs. As Bille und Zottel, a horse Zottel was.
    Thank you for bringing back those memories. It´s the time of the year for this, right? Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Any time is a good time for remembering happy memories

      Delete
  3. Hmmm, interesting - I had never heard of that one before. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite book as a kid? Well, I guess I would have to say that would have been The Witch, the Cat and the Baseball Bat by Syd Hoff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember that! I saw it on TV at some point in the 60s, maybe? My favorite was a big book of Grimm's fairy tales. I still have it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't remember any storybooks when I was little but I was in love with the Trixie Belden books in fourth grade!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don’t remember that series. The girls in my class read Nancy Drew

      Delete
  7. Thanks for the explanation. Like Iris, although I don't have wifi, I have a very slow internet connection. What an amazing story. I'd never heard it before.

    As for my favorite books? Any Nancy Drew mysteries. I was always and remain a lover of mysteries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Baby Weems was such a sweet story and I just love the illustrations.

      Delete
  8. Never seen Baby Weeks before, it sounds delightful! Thanks for the recommendation 😁. Happy wishes! Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those loved children's books never leave us, do they? Ad a kid I loved Go Dog Go and also Blueberries for Sal. And about a dozen more. Hope the weather has been ok today and you got rain. I am watching the weather now and it looks pink for ice for you but then turning to rain. But they say another 3-5 more inches of snow for me tonight. Stay safe. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to read Blueberries for Sal to my girlies. Thanks for the sweet memory. We got some sleet, but mostly rain. Hopefully, you didn’t get as much snow as I saw predicted 18 in. 😱

      Delete
  10. Aww, I have never heard of this story before. I remember reading lots when I was younger. All these children stories. I don't remember a specific one, but I always remembered loving all the illustrations!

    ReplyDelete