Saturday, September 9, 2017

Baby Blanket


Blue models the baby blanket, a gift for a friend's Grandbaby due to arrive in December.  The pattern is a simple, giant Granny Square. On a recent visit, I think I heard the new baby is a little girl. Since I only overheard the gender, I thought the safest color choice would be pastel, variegated yarn in pink, blue, green, yellow, and white.

The Granny Square was the first pattern I learned to crochet many, many years ago. If you pay attention, the pattern is a simple combination of single and double crochets done in a "round". If you don't pay attention, you end up with a Gordian knot which took me longer to unravel than to crochet the blanket.



Since this pattern came from my head, I wanted a simple border that would give the blankie a finished look. I trolled the Interwebs and used the border from Easy One Ball Baby Blankie adjusting the corners to my pattern. This pattern formed a sweet, scallop edge.

Now that the blankie is finished. The next project is to crochet a mermaid tail for the Big Sister who will be 3 years old by the time the baby arrives.

15 comments:

  1. Granny squares are the first thing I learned to make, too. Only I stopped before I put all the squares together. Wish I had made it one continuous piece like yours. It is fabulous and very much the colors of a baby blanket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of doing the traditional, small squares, but wanted something quicker and easier as it's been some time since I've done crochet.

      Delete
  2. The blanket is gorgeous, and I am sure the new baby will feel well in it. But what's a mermaid tail??? My mind boggles! Enjoy your day, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow- you are progressing quickly! It's looking great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even though the baby isn't due until December, I had time now to make the blanket. Who knows what the schedule will be like in another month or two. Crochet while the yarn is not tangled. πŸ˜‰

      Delete
  4. Oh my gosh, my SIL who has since passed, made that same blanket for my daughter or at least the color pattern was the same.
    Good job, CJ.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Big Sis will love the mermaid tail.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your baby blanket is so pretty, I adore the colours and the pattern is amazing! I was really surprised you created it from memory and the scalloped edge is perfect 😁. Happy Sunday and wishing you a great new week! J 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really a very simple pattern of a group of 3 double crochet separated by 2 single crochet.The scalloped edge makes the blanket look finished.

      Delete
  7. This is so beautiful CJ!! Well done! A mermaid tail????

    ReplyDelete