Thursday, September 7, 2017

Throwback Thursday - The Notebooks

To clear up some confusion, the Notebook passages posted on Throwback Thursday were written by my father and found by me after he passed away. They were his attempt to tell the family history. He was in his late 80s or early 90s when he wrote them. Today's chapter:

He [ed: Charlie] walked me through my duties and that he had an overnight camping trek that week and that he would come the first few times and then we would alternate weeks. Also the day after the overnight we would bring the boys back to the Club and dismiss the boy and go home to clean up and come back to the Club in the afternoon.

Also on the first week I was there Doris would be coming home with the children. And things would get better until then we catch as catch can for eating.

Our first day of overnight camping was ok during the day. We hiked from the Club.

during the daylight everything went well. At night it turned into a disaster. The mosquitos kept us awake. The kids began to get kind of rough. So Charlie decided that we better gather our things and hike back to the Club. And he cautioned the boys that we all hike and keep quiet because people were asleep and we didn't want to wake them up. Actually, have someone call the police which would not only be embarrassing but also raise eyebrows as to how something like that happened.

We made it back to the Center and without any problems and slept on the floor of the main room. It took a few hours to settle down. And it was hard to keep the kids quiet.

While the building was turned into a boy's club, in the upper floors there were apartments We got through ok and in the morning.

The rest of the Summer our camping overnight was more successful. We began our alternating and we would drag ourselves to the Club and then home in the morning for a shave, shower, and breakfast and then off to work to get there by noon and on night duty we ate out.

12 comments:

  1. I don't blame them for going back to the club! Mosquitoes can drive you mad! :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I'm pretty sure they were sleeping under the stars so no tents. That would make the mosquitos worse.

      Delete
  2. CJ; I have to laugh at the little rascals cartoon as that's how weezer; my grand ma, got her name....from the weezer character....

    I saw it and started reading your dad's notebook and said, please dont tell me he put goose grease on one of the kids because the kid had a cough !!!!! ☺☺☺♥♥♥

    which in the cartoon turned out to be limburger and I can remember a skunk running from the weezer boy !! ☺☺♥♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-D I bet Charlie and Dad wished they had a role of tape or maybe the threat of limburger to keep the boys quiet. :-D

      Delete
  3. Now that would have been a tough job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This story amazes me as Dad didn't have much patience when we were kids. Maybe this is where he picked up an aversion to kids horsing around.

      Delete
  4. I can just picture this whole event.I can hear the mosquitoes and the kids being kids. This is a very vivid chapter for sure. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't believe how late I am getting here. I read about the mosquitoes and thought how they love to attack me, too. I am the only one who ever gets bit. So I can see why Charlie took them back to the club. Of course, the kids weren't on their best behavior, either, it seems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are kids on an outing ever on their best behavior?
      :-D

      Delete
  6. I don't blame them for going back to the club!

    ReplyDelete