Tuesday, September 12, 2017

T Stands For Open House

Last Thursday, the Worcester Art Museum held its annual Fall Open House to coordinate with class registration. The Open House was held in the Higgins Education Wing. Down this corridor, to the left and a sharp right into Studio 100. 



The corridor is lined with student artwork from the Summer classes. The student artwork is amazing. So much talent.


Faculty members were assigned seats. (Usually, we have festival seating where you sit where you want). Faculty bring artwork to display or do a demonstration for prospective students. My studio assistant, Ben Dover, held my table sign. He got tired of walking up and down the table so he made himself comfortable on an illuminated wooden block. 

On my table is my travel mug. Light refreshments are served, but tea or coffee is not available. I'm in the habit of having a cup of tea after dinner. So this time, instead of dying for a cup of tea, I brought my own.


Some of my work on display. An exemplar, the illuminated quote on my blog header, homework for Reggie's class, a book of commissions I've done, Wish, a handmade book, and a Rolodex of ATCs. The one displayed is on a piece of Sumingashi paper with a silhouette of Ink, and the card reads I play with Ink


Light refreshments of vegetables and dip, candy, and flavored seltzer water. No tea. I was glad I brought my own. I don't like eating at this event as someone usually comes up to chat while my mouth is stuffed. I did have a fun-size, Nestle Crunch bar.

The event was sparsely attended. Probably due to the fact that the New England Patriots football team were playing their season opener which was going to be televised. The guests that did attend were enthusiastic so that made up for the low numbers, and


it gave faculty members a chance to wander around and socialize. We don't get much of a chance to get to know each other or 


to watch the demonstrations.  Some former students stopped by to say hello which was nice.

There's still time to register for classes. Visit the registration page. Seats are still available in both sessions of A Taste of Calligraphy.   😸

Drop by hosts, Bleubeard and Elizabeth's blog to find out what the rest of the T Stands For gang is up to. If you want to play, include in your Tuesday post a beverage or container for a beverage. Don't forget to link your blog to Bleubeard and Elizabeth's page.

30 comments:

  1. Your calligraphy is always amazing. Glad you were able to join in the open house and meet up with others. Happy T Day, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are some serious artists and some serious prices, too. Looks like you will be quite busy through the end of October. At least you know that the people who actually DID attend were interested and weren't just browsers.

    I couldn't go all that time without my caffeine, so I enjoyed seeing Ben and your carry mug together. Thanks for sharing your tea and calligraphy with us for T this Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's too bad the crowds were low. It looks like a good way to check out everything going on. If I was closer I would take a class. glad you got to meet some of the other staff and get a better idea of the overall classes and their teachers. happy T day. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never a rhyme or reason as to crowd size. There have been times when faculty was seated in the alcoves of the corridor and so many people coming through like a river.

      Delete
  4. I love your table design and the calligraphy pieces on your table are wondeful! The silhouette of Ink is beautiful and your words "I love to play with Ink" are perfect. The name of your studio assistant made me smile too 😁. Glad you got time to meet fellow faculty members and it must have been fun to see some of their demonstrations. Happy T Day! J 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was nice to be able to watch and ask lots of questions.

      Delete
  5. Love your helpful assistant;) Too bad there weren't more attendees but it was a nice way to get to know other staff members and see what everyone is doing. Your calligraphy work is so beautiful. Happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed chatting with my table neighbors and seeing what they will be teaching.

      Delete
  6. Too bad that not so many visitors came - must have been very interesting!
    Happy T-Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always an interesting event. Lots of great classes offered.

      Delete
  7. sounds a very nice day even though a low turnout-but sometimes that is nicer-more time to visit
    Happy T Day Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad you made the low turnout a positive and got to visit.. Happy T day! deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only thing you can do is look on the positive side.

      Delete
  9. I love art museums and exhibits, but I hafta say seeing your ATC display made my day :)

    Happy T Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The display stand was made from a piece of mat board, binder rings, and photo pages.

      Delete
  10. love the calligraphy and the exhibition looks excellent I really like the bird at the front

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very exciting. It sounds like all kinds of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your calligraphy looks beautiful, I love your new Header. Its a shame the event wasn't well supported, but it sounds good that you had time to meet with colleagues and old students.
    Happy T day wishes.
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The numbers may have been small, but it was a successful event.

      Delete
  13. Thanks for visiting my blog. I enjoyed seeing the open house and now my wish is that I could visit and take classes from you. That would be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  14. would love to see even more of your calligraphy and illumination! sounds like you enjoyed your time at the event...your display is lovely! sorry I'm late for Tea... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are very talented CJ! Sounds like a fun event! Glad you brought your tea! I would have too!

    ReplyDelete