Thursday, September 28, 2017

Throwback Thursday - The Notebooks

To clear up some confusion, the Notebook passages posted on Throwback Thursday were written by my father and found by me after he passed away. They were his attempt to tell the family history. He was in his late 80s or early 90s when he wrote them. Today's chapter:

By this time, I began to pay attention to a young lady who seemed interested. Her name was Mary Riccio.

She invited me to her 21st. birthday. We knew one another.

When I was at the East Boston Center,  would tell her to stick around and walk her home. And during the Summer stop for an ice cream cone. And walk along chatting. Nothing serious, but it would eventually become so.

I told Doris that I was going out with a girl, gave her name and also told her that Mary had attended a Valentine's Party at the Arnold house in East Boston.  She could not place her.

As my 21st birthday was approaching, Doris suggested that I should bring her over on what would be my 21st. birthday on a Sunday evening. She invited Mary through me.

I did bring her and we had dinner. There was a little to do. Bobby Arnold said something about his mother baking a cake and he got shut down and was told to go to bed. And he went off saying he hated Mary.
a little after that company began coming into the house. The secretary and other girls and young men who worked at the Club. And at that point, I found out that it was my birthday being celebrated. It was a nice evening and quite late. Mary and I left as I would have Monday off.

Of course, this Mary would become your mother in the future.

Mary and I got closer and serious. Things would change. Pearl Harbor would change a lot of plans.

11 comments:

  1. Getting more interesting with every 'episode'!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's really like reading a novel. Looking forward to the next episode. Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  3. CJ...its nice to finally meet mom; she's a beautiful lady ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your mother was a beautiful woman. No wonder why your dad wanted to walk her home. This was a touching chapter. I love his personal touch addressing this to you. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love reading the notebook. I'm reading as I post. So when I read things directed to me (this Mary would become your mother in the future), it's like sitting with Dad over coffee and tea.

      Delete
  5. This is wonderful to read about how your father met your mother. How sweet. Now it's really getting even more and more interesting as we now meet your beautiful mother (to be).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They knew each other as kids. They lived in the same neighborhood around the corner from each other.

      Delete
  6. This really is like reading a book! I love it!! I love your mother's smile!

    ReplyDelete