Thursday, July 19, 2018

Throwback Thursday - The Notebooks

To clear up some confusion, the Notebook passages posted on Throwback Thursday were written by my father and found by me after he passed away. They were his attempt to tell the family history. He was in his late 80s or early 90s when he wrote them. Today's chapter:

These were nice times. Although things were tight. We didn't have the type of government that we have today.

Roosevelt [ed: Franklin Delano Roosevelt] was president and he tried everything he could to get us out of The Depression. The factories and machinery were there but no one wanted to take a chance to invest in a factory or factories. So the President came up with a lot of alphabetical agencies to do certain things. He even told his appointees to do something. If something didn't work try something else.

He also went on the air [ed: radio] every Sunday to let the citizens know what was going on. He called it a fireside chat.

In the meantime things were getting worse and war clouds began to gather and it began to take up a a lot of the daily news.

15 comments:

  1. Oh yes, those were hard times indeed, I remember what my mum and other older relations used to tell us. Thanks for sharing! Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Valerie, I remember hearing about these times from my parents and my grandmother. I visited the Roosevelt Presidential library a couple of years ago and it was amazing how much Roosevelt did during the depression. Still, it must have been tough but people in a way seemed to have faith in the world, even when everything was not so good. Better than today I think in some ways. happy Thursday. Hope you are enjoying this gorgeous weather. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the difference between then and now is that then the people had a leadership they could stand behind.

      Delete
  3. I think Roosevelt was dealing with a totally different demographic than there is today.. Your notebook posts are fascinating CJ..love them.. Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  4. The difference between then and now (IMHO) is intelligence and leadership......and integrity. (sorry, I guess I'm getting on my soapbox early today.) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm right there with Robin, and you.
    One of the stories my grandmother used to tell was of buying girls' shoes for my uncle because they were cheaper than boys and throwing out the box so he wouldn't know he was wearing girls' shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I swear my mantra should be I'm habitually late to the party.

    Although I was bit too young at the time, I believe my grandfather thought FDR sat on the right hand of god. I'm quite sure he was a lifelong democrat until the Vietnam war came along. All of a sudden my grandfather voted for Goldwater and was proud of it, although I understand he (Goldwater) got very few votes. Sounds like everyone has fond memories of FDR.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think FDR's populrity stemmed from the fact that he tried to help the country with his various programs like the WPA

      Delete
  7. I meant to say I was a bit too young to remember Goldwater, not FDR (grin).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such hard times!!! I think it would have been very scary too! Roosevelt sounded like a good President!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By all accounts he was dedicated to serving the people.

      Delete