We decided to go for a drive up the coast. We stopped for a late lunch at Billy's Chowder House in Wells, Maine. I wasn't very hungry so I had a cup of clam chowder and a house salad. The salad was a kale mix. Kale! I don't understand its popularity as it tastes like grass clippings.
We talked how the area had changed. In my mid-twenties when Teague had moved to California, I spent weekends with a work buddy. Wells was known for shoe outlets so we would visit the Bass and Dexter shoe outlets. Sadly long gone.
The coast road was dotted with small cottages. Small cottages around Nubble Light, too. All those little cottages were razed and in their place large and glorious homes with magnificent views of the ocean. We admired the beautiful homes as we toodled along.
Drop by hosts, Bleubeard and Elizabeth's blog to find out what the rest of the T Stands For gang is up to. If you want to play, include in your Tuesday post a beverage or container for a beverage. Don't forget to link your blog to Bleubeard and Elizabeth's page.

I only had clam chowder once and didn't care for it, even though everyone else was raving about it. And I'm with you on kale. When I was in CA, every salad had kale. Not my favorite, either. Thanks for sharing your chowder, salad, and iced tea with us for T this Tuesday, dear CJ.
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like that area has changed a lot and not for the better.
The scenery along the ocean is still beautiful
DeleteIts's pleasant to have large homes with wonderful views, but what a lot of history was razed with the small cottages.
ReplyDeleteThe area is very upscale now.
DeleteYork is now as pricey as parts of the North Shore. I lived there for a couple of winters in the 80's and all the condos were going up. It's kind of sad though the way these places have just priced themselves out for the average person, whereas years ago families could buy those places. Even the the 80's condos weren't exciting at least most of them were affordable. But not now. The lakes around us, especially Winnie are out of this world expensive too. And you asked the other day about my mother-in-law's home. Is it not on Winnie but on a small lake called Rust Pond in Wolfeboro. It was a family camp until my husband's grandfather died. Then my in-laws changed it to a year round home. Stay cool today. And happy T day.
ReplyDeleteIn the late 70s early 80s, my work friend and I used to stay at the Anchorage right across from Long Sands. The motel was a little seedy, but cheap. If the parking on the street got filled up, the motel let people park on the front lawn for $5 for the day! Relief coming at the end of the week.
DeleteI've never eaten raw kale. It is cooked in the UK. Here in Spain (at least where I live) it's not available. The chowder looks tasty. I have never had it but I love clams so I guess I would like it.
ReplyDeleteHappy T-Day birthday,
Lisca
I don't think I would like it cooked. I should mention that what I had was New England Clam Chowder. It's clams and potatoes in a cream broth. New York makes a clam chowder with a tomato broth. In our (early) laws, New York clam chowder was against the law. 🤣
DeleteOoooOooo that chowder looks good! I first tasted chowder in California... and loved it at first bite .. it was served in hollowed out bread... not fond of kale either... but will eat it if mixed with other stuff... Daughter makes an Olive Garden inspired potato soup and puts some kale on top.. thats good.. We are holding our breath for rain... everybody else in TX seems to be getting it... Hugs! deb
ReplyDeleteOooo, chowder in a bread bowl! I hope you get the much needed rain.
DeleteAlmost 2 inches ... was sat in Chicfila and it came down in buckets... darn had to stay longer so had an ice cream...lol
DeleteMcMansions....everyone thinks bigger is better....the whole ambience of these places is dying......sigh....
ReplyDeleteWhat's really awful is if you live across the street from the ocean. Not on the ocean. And you built a large, beautiful home with a glorious view. Then someone comes along and builds across the street with their backyard as the ocean. They build an even bigger and more glorious home than yours. So big that they block the beautiful view you had.
DeleteThat food definitely looks yummy!
ReplyDeleteAll the best Jan
It's a nice place to eat
DeleteThe food looks good but I'm with you. Kale is bitter, and yeah grassy. I don't care for it at all. Glad you enjoyed the chowder.
ReplyDeleteThankfully there was enough stuff and salad dressing to mask the taste of the kale
DeleteThat salad and chowder look SO GOOD! Happy T day!
ReplyDeleteIt was a perfect lunch
Delete