Thursday, March 15, 2018

Throwback Thursday - The Notebooks

To clear up some confusion, the Notebook passages posted on Throwback Thursday were written by my father and found by me after he passed away. They were his attempt to tell the family history. He was in his late 80s or early 90s when he wrote them. Today's chapter:

We were also in the 3rd year of the Depression. I was 12 years old at the time. And things began going down hill at the house. My father's shop shut down and jobs were scarce in the tailoring business. Money was scarce. Our holidays were not the way they were and we wrote Santa Claus for gifts.

My father at one time said I was so fresh [ed: naughty] that Santa would only give oranges. On Christmas Eve there was a knock on the door. When my mother asked "Who is it?", and it was Santa. But I set up a holler. I said that is not Santa. It's Papa. I caught on as he was not a good actor. He tried.

The following year Santa came in the form of a package that the city raised for needy kids.

Things got bad and the schools lost their sports. I was looking forward to playing soccer ball. Due to the Depression, the City cut this sport out for grammar and junior high schools. And kept the high school sports.These sports football, baseball were open to the public which paid admission.

I was 12 years old and in the seventh grade. We had mixed classes. One thing that was different at the Donald McKay was that we changed classes and had a boy and girl student to assist the teachers in keeping the lines moving in the long corridors.

The monitors were elected by the class and a girl who took a liking to me enter my name as a candidate. I was not giving her any attention. /I made it clear by face and body language that I did not want anything to do with her. She was pretty but some what dense upstairs. Anyway, she was happy-go-lucky and liked by the girls and some of the boys.

My opponent was a well-liked girl, at least by the boys. The election was conducted by standing when the teacher called the names. My name was called first and most of the girls voted for me with some boys. And then those voting for the girl. I got the most votes. But the teacher selected the girl to to be the monitor. It wasn't the way elections were supposed to be run. It may have been that when practically all of the girls voted for me, she [ed: the teacher] seemed surprised. I suppose she felt with me out in the corridor with other girls passing by that a number might want to stop or flirt. Not very good. On the other hand, I was miffed and I id not think I was an idol.

16 comments:

  1. I remember my grandmother talking about the depression. She was a child and her family was well off, but they still felt it. They had to let many of their employees go.

    I can see why your father was irked. Sort of like how politics are run these days, too. Off my soap box on that one! Have a super Thursday, dear C.J.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting thoughts from the past, must have been a hard time. Got computer problems, excuse my brevity! Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope your computer problems are resolved quickly

      Delete
  3. Gee, elections don't sound like they have changed all that much-at times at least. Winning and not getting the job is one way to make someone cynical for sure. Enough said there. Have a great Thursday. Time for some sun! I'm sure you agree. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Time for sun, but I heard some hinting about another storm next week.

      Delete
  4. There was no point in voting was there? That's the way to teach democracy. I would have been miffed too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This might have been the catalyst that got Dad interested in politics.

      Delete
  5. how sad that sports got cut for classes; I understand the need for knowledge, but also the need for activity and fresh air etc.

    I wonder how many { kids } were enrolled.

    I know my grandfather's family had "dropouts" ...they needed to do some type of work to help pay for food and such

    and I guess the voting process hasn't really changed in many ways...has it !!

    ☺☺♥♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dad wanted to drop out of school, but my grandmother had asked Charlie, who was very influential in Dad's life, to talk him into going back to school. Dad was graduated high school and then after the War, he went on to college and law school. He was the only one of his siblings to go further than a high school education.

      And the more things change, the more things stay the same.

      Delete
  6. My great great grandma talked about the depression, but she is about the only person I know who lived through it... so interesting! - www.domesticgeekgirl.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to say, I would have been miffed too!!!

    ReplyDelete