Saturday, March 31, 2018

An Egg-speriment

Later on today, I will be making Easter Egg Bread. I need to dye 6 eggs, and only had blue, green, and yellow dye in the cupboard. No red, The Young One's favorite color. I didn't feel like running out to the store just to buy food coloring so I would have red. 

God bless the Internet as I found people dyed eggs with Kool-Aid powdered drink mix. Great! I didn't have Kool-Aid on hand, 



 but had generic fruit punch and grape. 


I nuked a 1/2 cup of water and added a teaspoon of white vinegar as directed on the food coloring package. The mixture smelled very fruit punch. Popped the egg in the dye bath.


A stringy red residue formed on the egg. You can see where I wiped it off with the paper towel. The residue might have formed because I kept turning the egg over with a metal spoon.I put the egg in for a second bath to get a deeper shade of red. The dye started to fizz. Some sort of chemical reaction between the egg shell, the vinegar, and whatever is in the drink mix. 

The fizzing didn't happen with the purple drink mix. The purple mix actually turned the egg a shade of grey. I wiped the egg with a paper towel and stuck the purple egg in the blue dye. 



There were no issues dyeing the eggs with the green and blue food coloring.   A quick dip in the red and leaving the egg alone for 1 minute yielded a pink egg.

 At this stage of the game where the girlies are grown up, it doesn't really matter what color the eggs are, but I still dyed an egg in favorite colors. Red for the Young One, Purple (mottled like a plantet) for Himself, Blue for me, and even though she is not home for Easter, Pink for The Eldest.

16 comments:

  1. Nice! I have never seen actual egg bread-only recipe photos- and I hope you post a photo of yours. It sounds like you were able to jimmy up your egg coloring perfectly. Nice job. I want to mention parking at the PEM in Salem as you mentioned it in your comment. I know getting to Salem from the Worcester area is a real PAIN. No easy way around it as you know. There is however a large parking garage right across the street from the main entrance of the museum. It's pretty big too-if you ever head up that way! Just so you know. :) Happy Easter. Hope the bread comes out perfect! Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thanks for the parking info. People made it sound like there was no parking at all.

      Delete
  2. You are so ambitious! Happy Easter! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-D Not ambitious. It's a tradition and will be supper for tonight.

      Delete
  3. That looks great! I went back to read your original link regarding the recipe and your family tradition ... wonderful!

    You are so ingenious with the egg dye idea. I probably would not have thought of that myself!

    HAPPY WEEKEND!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nah, not ingenious. I just searched online until I found sites using Kool-Aid as the dye.

      Delete
  4. Looks like a fun eggsperiment with great results. Have a great Easter weekend. Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Egg-speriment ...lol 😉! It looked such fun creating all the different coloured eggs and I'm so impressed that you created red without red dye - wonderful 😁. Wishing you and your family a very happy Easter weekend! J 😊 x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did have red dye. The dye is part of the drink mix

      Delete
  6. My keyboard STILL isn't working properly. Happy Easter. Wanted you to know I stopped by, though. LOVED your egg-spiriment. You are a great mom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to know if you need dye in a pinch you can use drink mix

      Delete
  7. Those eggs are pretty! Wish I'd taken photos of my kiddos eggs, they were way better than I ever made, haha! - http://www.domesticgeekgirl.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you can get a pic or two before they are gone.

      Delete
  8. I love this tradition CJ! They turned out great! Big Hugs!
    I wanted to tell you, I showed my mom your crocheted items and she really loved them all!

    ReplyDelete