Friday, July 15, 2011

The Friday Five

There was a meme running around Facebook a while ago. Supposedly, the BBC came up with a list of 100 books, and stated the average person would only have read six books from their list. Five books from the list I haven't read.

1. Moby Dick by Herman Melville. I had to read this for a philosophy class in college. I made it 3/4 of the way through the book before I couldn't take it any more. I watched the 1956 movie starring Gregory Peck and Richard Basehart, instead. I dozed off in the middle, and woke up in time to see the end. I wrote a brilliant exam and passed the course.

2. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. I tried. Didn't get beyond the first dozen pages. It was just talking head. It needed more action. Maybe cowboys.

3. Les Miserables by Victor Hugo. Didn't see it at the theater, either. I'm not crazy about musicals.

4. War and Peace, by Leo Tolstoy. I tried, but didn't get very far. The book made an excellent door stop.

5. I've read other Dickens stories: Oliver Twist, Bleak House, A Christmas Carol, but I haven't read David Copperfield. I did see him at the theater many years ago. His show is mesmerizing.

Have you read any of these novels?  What classics have you missed?


No comments:

Post a Comment