Sunday, September 9, 2018

How Does Your Garden Grow?


This week, we begin inside with Big Lily (on the right) and her gorgeous daughter, Concordia (named after my maternal grandmother. The name means peace) If you look carefully just under the upright leaf in the center of Big Lily, you'll see she's getting ready to bloom again, too.


Reggie's morning glories are putting on a glorious show.


The lily of the valley in the butterfly garden are not looking good. Looks like mold from the high humidity or mold has gotten to the plants.


Look who I found on the milkweed! A monarch butterfly caterpillar! 


The milkweeds don't look good though that doesn't seem to bother the caterpillar.


I have never seen the goldenrod reach a height of six feet. Obviously, the goldenrod loved the high head and humidity this Summer


And the bees are enjoying the goldenrod


Lots of leaves but no flowers yet on the Heavenly Blue morning glories.


And a new visitor. A little bunny. This might be the one Himself named Corolla. S/he is usually in the front yard when Himself leaves for his morning workout. When s/he hears Himself coming out of the house, s/he runs under the cars in the driveway. We both drive a Toyota Corolla.


An inch or rain arrived this week.


Yellow leaves starting to dot the trees in the woods.

How does your garden grow?

20 comments:

  1. That bunny loves your garden. How cool. I get squirrels and chipmunks and of course the occasional bear but never never bunnies. I guess the dogs would just chase the away.And how cool to find the monarch butterfly caterpillar. I left some growing in my veggie garden but didn't see an caterpillars. Maybe I just need to take a second look. Happy Sunday. this cooler weather does make good walking for my morning stroll. But some warmth later this week. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I read the Monarch caterpillars feed exclusively on milkweed. So you'll need to plant milkweed to attract them.

      Delete
  2. It's a shame that just when everything in gardens start to look really lush and lovely the season changes! No fair! :-/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your garden is doing really well. Love that lovely caterpillar. Happy Sunday. Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did't think I'd get any caterpillars this year since the milkweed never flowered.

      Delete
  4. Six foot Goldenrod???? Good grief. I've never heard of it getting that tall. Whatever you're doing come and do it to my garden:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think all the heat and humidity we had couple with a rainy August just made the weeds think they were growing in a rain forest.

      Delete
  5. I enjoy peace lilies; they always do well for me :) I've never had any luck growing anything to attract monarchs, but you've got a fine, fat caterpillar there. Gorgeous goldenrod! I used to see it by the roadside but not in ages now. It's such a good color. Greet The Bunny for me; they never venture onto our patio, though I know they're in the neighborhood. We finally got a decent, steady rain last night and into the morning. The plants and birds are happy, which makes me happy. The newest addition here are some tiny redbud trees that volunteered in a flower bed where they weren't wanted. I look forward to finding a spot for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have a green thumb so I am thrilled the peace lilies are doing so well. Glad you finally got some needed rain. I just looked up the redbud trees. Wow! They will be show stoppers in your yard

      Delete
    2. We'll see lol I grew up with them in an actual yard. These are tiny things, and I have no idea how they'll do on this little patio. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, though, right? :)

      Delete
  6. Looking great CJ! I took down my goldenrods! I should have kept mine. Yours are amazing! Love your little bunny! Very cool about the caterpillar! Concordia is a beautiful name! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey CJ, my lily of the valley are looking the same. I thought it was because fall was coming! LOL! I never thought of mold?

      Delete
    2. Maybe it is Fall, but it looked like mold to me. I’ll have to ask Red

      Delete
  7. I've had at least three dozen of those caterpillars this year. They have totally DESTROYED my brand new fennel and one pot of dill. They started munching away about three weeks ago, so I hope they soon reach the next stage of their life cycle. Is that the surprise?

    The two peace lilies are looking excellent. Good to hear, and maybe now that your eldest daughter has gone, you have actually picked up some of her green thumb skills.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Monarch caterpillars only eat milkweed. Maybe you had different caterpillars? And yes,finding the caterpillar was the surprise.

      Delete
    2. Trust me, CJ. These are the exact same caterpillars you photographed. Mine come around every year about late July, to early August. Believe me, they are the same, and they eat dill, fennel, AND milkweed. That's why I always put out an extra pot of dill each year.

      Delete
    3. I just looked up the caterpillar and it looks exactly the same as your photo. However, it appears mine produce swallowtails, so I guess you were absolutely correct. I had always been told these were for making monarch babies!

      Delete