Thursday, April 11, 2019

Throwback Thursday - The Notebook

To clear up some confusion, the Notebook passages posted on Throwback Thursday were written by my father and found by me after he passed away. They were his attempt to tell the family history. He was in his late 80s or early 90s when he wrote them. Today's chapter:

Mary invited some of her co-workers shortly after we had settled in our apartment.

I took time off. The government gave its employees a day off a month. And we were told that we could keep adding to them and if we left they would pay for the unused days. We were also putting money in a retirement account.

One year I was told that I should take some time off as I had too many days and towards the end of my association with the government I took 16 days off in December adding two holidays. 18 altogether.

I took the time off to allow Mary at the time to be with the girls. And I did the honors. Brewed the coffee, tea and goodies and clean up and washed dishes etc.

When they left Mary said, "if I ever go to work and complain that you were not a good husband, they wouldn't believe me."

Your mother was expecting [ed: 1948 - 1949] and the Arnolds suggested that we go to Dr. McCarthy, their doctor. We did and he was a great doctor. During her pregnancy, Charlie would stop by, they did not live too far and he used to take their laundry to Cambridge. He did not want to put too much stress on Mary and he would bring his own can of soup or some canned goods for lunch. Doris also visited while Charlie went to do the laundry. She told mother that she wanted to know when things were happening that the time had come she had put cab money aside to get to us. Mother had a hard time. I took her to the hospital on Friday and we checked in. And a nurse came to take her to the delivery area. I walked along until we came to a line painted on the floor. and the nurse said this is as far as you can go. So I said, Ok, where should I go?" The answer, "Go home. It will be some time before she gives birth. We will notify you."

19 comments:

  1. It was hard treatment at the hospitals in those days, things have improved a little in the meantime! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now you can have whomever you want in the delivery room.

      Delete
  2. Is this you about to be born? I can't image they actually painted line where men had to stop. I think birthing conditions are that time were so unnatural. Hope we get to hear about he birth next week. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unnatural, but traditionally birthing was seen as women's work. Men were kept out while midwives and women who had experienced birth helped the new mom out. Things didn't change until the mid-1970s.

      Delete
  3. Oh boy! It's getting exciting now! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  4. This took me back to the time in my dad's history where my sister was about to be born and then I would follow in 1950

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sending the husband home...that is just wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can't judge history by today's standards. Men other than doctors were not allowed in the delivery room

      Delete
  6. Now is a round about turn these days!

    Your dad gave you a tremendous gift in his stories.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ..are we about to read about the birth of our friend CJ !!??? the last line of this post made me smile; go home dad and we will let you know when the baby is here; I wonder how many men would be honest and say they'd LIKE to hear that in this day and age...☺☺♥♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stay tuned next week. Same cat time. Same cat channel =^,.^=

      Delete
  8. You have certainly left us hanging.

    All of my friends had people in the delivery room. I had a video camera, so I was often invited to take videos of the blessed events. I can't imagine what it was like back then.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another interesting slice of history. It's nice that they allowed him to have a day off per month, and to accumulate the days if he didn't use them. (It's also the good old days, when they allowed women to spend enough time in the hospital after giving birth.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my mother said she was in the hospital a week. I had 2 c-sections and was booted out after 3 days! Times they have a changed.

      Delete
  10. How exciting!! I feel bad for your dad being sent home, but I guess that's the way things were back in those days!

    ReplyDelete