Saturday, April 20, 2019

Saturday Afternoon at the Movies

This idea came from a Facebook meme:
Over 10 days, post your 10 all time favorite films. What movie has really made an impact on you or what films can you watch over and over and never tire of? Post either the movie poster, DVD cover or even a screenshot on your timeline. No need to explain.

Only I had a hard time picking out just 10 movies so my favorites over the next few hundred Saturdays 😸 in semi-alphabetical order:me favorite films. What movie has really made an impact on you or what films can you watch over and over and never tire of? Post either the movie poster, DVD cover or even a screenshot on your timeline. No need to explain.

Only I had a hard time picking out just 10 movies so my favorites over the next few hundred Saturdays 😸 in semi-alphabetical order:

During the week leading up to Easter, some favorite holy movies.


The Silver Chalice (1954)  Paul Newman, Virginia Mayo, Jack Palance


The Ten Commandments (1956) Charlton Heston, Yul Brynner


The Song of Bernadette (1943) Jennifer Jones, Vincent Price


The Miracle of Our Lady of Fatima (1952) Gilbert Roland, Angela Clark


Previously featured on Saturday Afternoon at the Movies.




If you haven't seen these movies, many of them are for rent from YouTube.

20 comments:

  1. Ah, Paul Newman is always worth looking at! Have a great weekend, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I have seen 3 of these, not sure about the silver chalice. Nice for the holiday this weekend. Hope yours is a good one CJ. Happy Easter-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good movies, good actors....not my cup of tea. Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can sit at your new art station while I watch tv in your living room (-:

      Delete
  4. The Silver Chalice was one of my favorite books in junior high school, and I made sure to have it around once my kids were of an age. I was glad that it got a film adaptation. The same goes for Bernadette. What an inspiring book, and I loved the movie. It's good to see Vincent Price in a serious dramatic role. The 10 Commandments used to get a tv showing every year, and I imagine it still does :) I don't think I've seen the Fatima movie but will be on the look-out for it. Thx!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Silver Chalice is my favorite of the holy movies even if Paul Newman hated the movie. I never read the book. I read Werfel's Song of Bernadette and love the adaptation to the movie. I haven't seen the Fatima movie shown in over 50 years. Don't know why as it was a beautiful story.

      Delete
  5. GREAT PICS - seen them ALL! They are wonderful classics! My personal fav at Easter time has to be "Jesus of Nazareth" because the actor Robert Powell who portrays Jesus is THE BEST and his soulful eyes are perfect to imagine just what Christ may have actually looked like. My dad always said that as well. It also featured Olivia Hussey who was also in the 70's version of Romeo and Juliet who played Virgin Mary.

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always liked Jeffrey Hunter as Christ in The Greatest Story Ever Told. Those blue eyes. Loved Olivia Hussey in the Zeffirelli Romeo and Juliet.

      Delete
    2. Jeffrey Hunter? Wasn't he the first captain (Cpt. Christopher Pike) in the original Star Trek pilot? What a hottie he was! ;-)

      Delete
  6. Thanks for sharing your movie choices.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never heard of any of these films except for the 10 Commandments. They are all truly appropriate for this past weekend, dear CJ.

    ReplyDelete