Tuesday, April 23, 2019

T Stands For You've Seen His Work But Don't Know His Name


After the cemetery siting, Teague had found some information on a small museum in the center of Arlington. Parking in Boston and environs can be a bear and expensive. Fortunately, Arlington had a municipal parking lot for 50 center per hour of parking and steps away from



The museum was housed in the 


 Jefferson Cutter had been a prominent mill owner. The house was moved to the current site to be used for the Cyrus Dallin Museum


Hand-carved door.

The Cyrus Dallin Art Museum was such a find. It's not a well known destination so not many people there on the day we visited. We got a private tour from one of the founding board members as the regular docent had called in and wasn't able to take a shift.  James thoroughly enjoyed his job of promoting Dallin's art and the museum. He also had some great stories.

I had no clue who Dallin was, but I was familiar with this iconic work. 



This statue is at the entrance to the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston. I've driven by it or walked by thousands of times, but thought it was done by Daniel Chester French or Augustus St. Gaudens, two other prominent New England artists.




If you've visited Plymouth, Massachusetts, you've seen the statue of Massasoit.








If you seen or been to the Mormon temple in Salt Lake City, Utah or driven along Route 2 in Belmont, Massachusetts, you've seen Dallin's The Angel Moroni

 Cyrus Dallin came to Boston from Utah. As his fame as an artist grew, he was contacted by members of the Mormon Church to sculpt the angel for the steeple of the temple. Dallin refused saying he wasn't religious, didn't believe in angels and other numerous excuses.

The church leaders turned to Dallin's mother. As a young woman, she had been promised as 27th wife to Brigham Young while traveling by wagon train to Utah. She had met a young man, fell in love, didn't want to marry the older Young or be his 27th wife. The young couple left the wagon train, got married. I wasn't sure in the narrative whether Dallin's mother remained a Mormon after rejecting Young. Anyway, Dallin did the sculpture because of his mother's request.



Out of all the beautiful statues and paintings (he was quite accomplished as a painter, too. Having studied art in France and having some of the French impressionists as companions) This was my favorite piece. Of course. 



Dallin had been working on a sculpture of his 3 sons. You can see a photo of the sculpture behind the cat. The  youngest, Lawrence, age 6. Didn't like sitting still for the composition. After an hour or so he bolted from the studio with the request to sculpt the cat. According to James, the cat statue was on the dining room table when Lawrence returned from playing outside. 

In the photo, the older brother has his hand resting lightly on his middle brother's shoulder, but has a firm grip on Lawrence to keep him from running off while the statue was finished.





I was shocked to learn another iconic sculpture in the city, Paul Revere was done by Dallin. It took some 70 years for Dallin to get recognition for his work. Originally done as a competition, there was some sort of politics that played into the prize money not being given to Dallin as he was an unknown artist at the time. I also suspect that the Boston Brahmins didn't want to award the prize to Dallin as he was also not originally from Boston or New England. We Bostonians can be such snobs.

Undeterred,  Dallin went to Paris to study art, won another sculpture competition, and became an internationally known artist.

There were four other poses of Revere before Paul Revere, No. 5 was chosen. The title reminded me of the House of Chanel's perfume, Chanel No. 5. Which has absolutely nothing to do with the Revere statue.



After visiting the museum we were hungry for lunch. James had told us there were lots of restaurants in the area. We didn't have to walk very far along Massachusetts Avenue


Most of the restaurants we saw served foo-foo food. I'm not adventurous in my eating, and I don't like hot and spicy.



We ended up at a small pizza shop. Teague had a root beer, and I had water. I would have preferred an ice tea, but the selection was fruit flavored, and I thought would have a lot of sugar. I wanted to try not to go too far off the Keto rails.


We ordered a small, plain cheese pizza and could watch it baking in the fire, brick oven.


Pizza with its traditional crust is not Keto friendly (Keto is no carbs, no grain (wheat, rice, rye, etc.) but it was sooooo good.

Drop by hosts, Bleubeard and Elizabeth's blog to find out what the rest of the T Stands For gang is up to. If you want to play, include in your Tuesday post a beverage or container for a beverage. Don't forget to link your blog to Bleubeard and Elizabeth's page.

39 comments:

  1. Great post, you saw some fantastic art. I don't know the artist, but his work is wonderful. Lovely house, too, a serendipitous discovery. Happy T day, your pizza looked soooo good! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The museum was a great find, and I hadn't had real pizza in a long time so it was like slices of heaven

      Delete
  2. Enjoyed this so much CJ. Thank you for compiling and sharing all that info. Nice when you find something out of the way like that. What a great find! Pizza Yum! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And even better when you find a surprise like this museum in your own backyard, so to speak.

      Delete
  3. A new artist to me as well, the photos you shared looked great, I liked the models of the Indian on horseback, so detailed.
    Your pizza looked delicious as well.
    Happy T day wishes.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dallin, being from the West, sculpted a lot of Native American pieces.

      Delete
  4. You are right about the sculpture whose name I didn't know. Wow. That was quite the find. I have been to Arlington many times as a good friend lives there and didn't know about this. I imagine she must know about this as she is an artist and lives in town, but I will have to mention it to her. Thanks for taking us on this little journey today CJ. Hope we see some more sun. And happy T day. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the museum is in Arlington Center right behind Whittemore Park on Mass. Ave. For a small museum, tons of stuff. A suggested donation of $5. Can't beat that.Limited hours. Fri-Sun, Noon - 4pm

      Delete
  5. what an interesting post and place CJ. I didn't know about any of it! And now I want pizza:) Happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your earlier visit, I enjoyed seeing your photos of the museum and your pizza, looks tasty, I only like plain pizzas I hate all those with spicy meats on them,
    Have a great week
    Jan x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plain pizza is my favorite. I do like sweet Italian sausage with mushrooms and green peppers, too.

      Delete
  7. I really enjoyed this post! I love seeing the photos and learning about the history of the statues and items in the museum. I especially loved "Our Cat"!

    The pizza looked scrumptious - makes me hungry for it now! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-D Once you are owned by a black cat, you just gravitate towards them.

      Delete
  8. I love these small 'tucked away' museums too! And pizza is always a good choice! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pizza is my favorite food. I think I could eat it every day and not get sick from it. It's perfect. All the major food groups in one package. And since starting Keto last August, I hadn't had a real slice of pizza. Course it threw me out of Ketosis, but it was so worth it!

      Delete
  9. Wow- an amazing artist ! Thank you for sharing this superb art! Happy T-Day - This pizza looks gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What fascinating art and history! It's so much fun to come across local treasures for the first time :) Happy T Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was so much art and stories in this tiny, little house.

      Delete
  11. The Cyrus Dallin Museum was quite a find, CJ. Fabulous sculptures. He did the human form at its best. The muscle definition of the native American men is awesome and the soft lines of the female figure are soft and alluring.

    Thank you for sharing your private tour.

    Happy T-day! Eileen xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dallin had quite a range of work. His paintings were gorgeous as well.

      Delete
  12. A fascinating museum visit, thank you so much for sharing! I admire sculptors so much, as it's really a gift. It must have been a little unusual to view these sculptures in such small rooms. Like you, I think this artist has been overlooked. Gorgeous work. and now I'm hungry for pizza! lol. Happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a little cramped but gorgeous work no matter where you looked.

      Delete
  13. What a wonderful post! I loved seeing all the amazing sculptures and finding out about them 😁. I smiled when I saw the cat too and I love pizza, I hope you saved me a slice ...lol 😉. Happy T Day! J 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well have to go back for pizza. It was only a small, but we ate the whole thing! :-D

      Delete
  14. I'm sorry for being so late visiting. After being out all day, I came home, expecting to get on the internet and leave comments. However, what happened was I fell asleep and just woke a short time ago. The boys were so good and I laid down with them just for a second. That turned into at least five hours. Now I'm playing catch up and LOVING your taking us to this museum. It's a beautiful museum and has incredible sculptures and paintings. I was truly amazed, because I saw the Paul Revere statues in Boston when I was there. YES. I got that same impression of Boston when I was there. Snobs and too aloof. But I really loved this museum.

    Great that you had water because your pizza looks too good to be true. I was so happy to see the pizza being cooked in a fire brick oven. There is something about that type of pizza you don't get from the traditional ovens.

    Thanks for taking us to the Cyrus Dallin Museum and sharing his work and your awesome photos with us, as well as your pizza and water for T this Tuesday, dear CJ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've been busy taking care of your neighbor's cat. Five hour nap has to be a record or an alien abduction =^,.^= Now you can wow people when the statue of Paul Revere is shown as a Boston landmark. You know the name of the sculptor. Not many Bostonians do.

      Delete
  15. Thank you for sharing so many photos from this museum. His statues are fantastic! And I smiled when I saw the cat statue: so well done, but seemingly so out of place compared to all of the other majestic type sculptures / statues. I didn't like reading that it took him 70 years to get recognition for his work: that's unfair. The pizza looked delicious (even if it wasn't Keto friendly.) Happy T-Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the cat statue shows Dallin's impressive range of subject. I imagine a lot of artists don't get the recognition at least he got what was his due, even if it was 70 years in the making.

      Delete
  16. What a beautiful art museum. I love sculpture art! I know what you mean about expensive parking in the city. We have family that lives in D.C. and it is crazy!
    And that pizza looks so yummy!
    Happy Tea Day,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing how sculptors can make hard stone looks soft like flesh or fabric

      Delete
  17. Thank you for taking me through the museum. What a find! I enjoyed the sculptures. I had not heard of him, and it was interesting to read his mother had been a Mormon pioneer.
    I love that cat statue.
    Happy belated T-Day,
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Out of all the beautiful pieces that were in the museum, the black cat was my favorite.

      Delete
  18. Lovely photographs you've shared on your post.
    ...the pizza did look good.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For trying no to low car for several months, the pizza was absolutely delicious.

      Delete
  19. This was an amazing post CJ! Thank you for all the history! So interesting! Love the black cat! That pizza does look yummy! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cat was my favorite. Too bad there wasn't a replica of the cat sold in the little gift shop. It so would have been mine.

      Delete