Tuesday, August 23, 2022

T Stands for the Dropped Dead Murphys Tour - Part 3



After a light, free breakfast from the hotel, we had one more stop to make on the tour. From the 1910 census records, Himself found the house where his  great-grandfather lived. After staking out the house, we headed South and the road home.


M, one of my classmates from Coloring Camp (Enders) had suggested stopping in Freeport, Maine to have lunch at the Harraseeket Lunch and Lobster Co. and we did just that.  I think she had mentioned that the restaurant was cash only so Himself hit the ATM machine before we left the hotel.

We got to the restaurant shortly after it opened and there was already a line and no spaces in the parking lot.  Fortunately, there was a handicap spot and Himself was able to squeeze in. The handicap placard is a life-saver, sometimes.

We queued up and placed our order. It was quite warm and sunny, but we found a table under an awning and sat and waited to pick up the order. 


The Eldest and I had mile high lobster rolls, fries (chips), and the most delicious blueberry iced tea. Maine is known for its blueberries.


Also in the order, Whoopie Pies to take home to the Kitty Sitters



View of the Harraseeket River. Behind me at the back of the restaurant was an upper deck to eat your meal. You could also buy fresh lobster to be cooked for you.

Before leaving Freeport, we made a pit stop at the L.L. Bean Flagship Store. I'm glad we stopped because traffic came to a standstill on the Southbound side of the highway just as we crossed the Massachusetts border. We figured there we be a lot of traffic heading North on a Friday afternoon taking people to New Hampshire and Maine beach and vacation destinations. We didn't count on two accidents to snarl traffic. At least we didn't have to worry about being home at a certain time. The Young One was home taking care of  Calli and Quill so we didn't have to have kittens about being stuck in traffic.

Drop by hosts, Bleubeard and Elizabeth's blog to find out what the rest of the T Stands For gang is up to. If you want to play, include in your Tuesday post a beverage or container for a beverage. Don't forget to link your blog to Bleubeard and Elizabeth's page.

39 comments:

  1. What a great adventure and I always love visiting Freeport in Maine! L L Bean is a fab place to shop and your lobster roll looks amazing, so yummy 😊. Such a beautiful view of the river too. Happy T Day wishes! Hugs Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That had to be one of the best lobster rolls I have ever had

      Delete
  2. I have never eaten at the Harraseeket Lobster pound, and I am really glad you mentioned it. Thanks. That lobster roll looks delicious!!! I like to go to LL Beans too if I'm in the area. And as for the traffic, sorry to hear you had a big snarl. I never go to visit my Mom on Friday's as it would take me ages to get home. That weekend traffic is something else. Since I live just south of Winnipesaukee a bunch of it comes this way and I won't even grocery shop Friday afternoons. However, we do boat then as no one is out on the ocean. I guess everyone is on the road. OK, enough about me in this comment. Thanks for sharing more about the Drop Dead Murphy's. Have a great T day CJ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next time you're in Freeport, be sure to stop at the Harraseeket. You won't be disappointed

      Delete
  3. How fun to find where hubby's ancestors lived. I want to do that!!! That food looks so amazing and the drink sounds wonderful and refreshing. My daughter has announced she wants to go to Maine so I may have to try and find this place! TFS. Happy T-day, CJ. Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great day out with good food. Sorry about the traffice jams, they are always a nuisance. Happy T Day, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We knew Northbound would be jammed up, but so surprised it happened on the Southbound side

      Delete
  5. Lobster!!! I hope to have my fill of it next month when we go to Newfoundland.

    ReplyDelete
  6. On our trip to Maine a year ago, we stopped at LLBean's big store -- and saw the giant boot! We ate lots of lobster, too, which is so wonderful, and there were lines everywhere, and traffic. I can see why so many people want these great t hings.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's why the slogan "Vacationland" is on the Maine license plate

      Delete
    2. Mae, for some reason I couldn't leave a comment on your blog. I found your post very interesting. I like the Greenland spelling of Qajaq. Wouldn't that make a great Scrabble word! Happy T Day

      Delete
  7. Sounds (and looks) like you had a great trip! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did, and I'm so glad it panned out for Himself

      Delete
  8. How fun is this. Finding the house, I am sure was kind of magical. Lovely photos and a great meal. Have a nice day today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to have places and landmark's to piece together the story

      Delete
  9. How amazing that you could find Himself's Great Grandfather's house! And HUGE lobster rolls to top it all off! I would babysit kitties for whoopie pies!! lol just sayin' Happy T day! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If the Young One isn't available for kitty sitting, I'll give you a call 😺

      Delete
  10. The food looks delicious, and oh, what a view! I'm jealous of the LL Bean access :) Happy T Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The flagship store is large, and there are a ton of small shops on the main street in Freeport. We didn't have time to explore all the shops. Maybe another time

      Delete
  11. Some adventure.
    I´d love to see where my Mum grew up/was born, sadly Königsberg is now Kalingingrad, Russia, and we cannot go - but I have no idea where it was anyways.
    Oh, all the lovely water! Happy T-Day, hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  12. We had eaten at the Harraseeket Lunch and Lobster Co. back in 2007 when we were in Maine. I'm glad that it is still there. I had lobster roll as well, it was delicious. We went there several times because it was so good. And of course we visited LL Bean as well (that's what you do when you're in Freeport, rigth?) as well as some of the other rather quirky shops. I wonder whether they're still there.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Another Wonderful Adventure And Traffic Is Traffic - Amazing Photos And Loved The Hitchhikers Post - Well Done

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful photos of Maine from your trip. I have to say, that lobster roll is aptly named. It is certainly piled high.
    Happy Tea Day,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks like a great place to visit and everything looks so fresh and delicious. I just noticed your two cats at the top of the sidebar, are they sitting in a cardboard scratcher? I thought I recognised the box but maybe not. Happy T Day Elle/EOTC xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The photo is from Oct/Nov 2021 when we first got the kittens. They liked to cuddle and nap together on the scratcher. It was never used for scratching. Calli can still fit on the scratcher box as she's dainty, but Quill is a very big boy so not enough room for them to sit together.

      Delete
  16. Sounds like so much fun:) Good on the young one for critter sitting:)
    Hugs,
    Sandra sandracox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's wonderful that you got to go on that trip to Maine. It's great that your husband found his great-grandfather's house.

    The lobster roll looks good. Even better than the ones Erika shows.

    Sad that you got stuck in traffic, but I laughed that you didn't have kittens over the kitten sitter.

    Thanks for sharing your trip, your lunch, and your blueberry iced tea with us for T this Tuesday. I have never had a Whoopie Pie, but they look like they are filled with marshmallow.

    BTW, Sally has a handicap plate, so I look for the handicap spot wherever we go when she is driving.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoopie pie filling is a fluffy frosting/creamy filling.

      Delete
  18. Oh, I wish we could go to Maine again! I want lobster rolls! LOL We loved Maine! Happy T Day!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I didn't know that Maine is also known for Blueberries - I only knew Maine Lobster (by hearsay, because unfortunately I haven't made it to this corner of the USA yet. But I hope to come...)
    All the best from Austria and happy T Day!
    Traude
    https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2022/08/mallorca-reisebericht-teil-5-tag-9-bis.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then you can try the lobster and blueberry pie!

      Delete